Discuss Lightswitch in bathroom?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparkystu

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on switches in bathrooms? Iv recently done the 17th edition and it seems perfectly fine to now put them in the bathroom as long as its outside zone 2 and everything on an rcd. Im currently renovating and iv put it in the bathroom. After talking to a few other guys they still say they wouldnt pass an instalation with a switch in the bathroom??
Ur thoughts please?

Stu

i put a switch in the bathroom all the time!! its normally attached to a pull cord and stuck to the ceiling!

no hesitation in passing that off....

Now a rocker switch i may have issues with !!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on switches in bathrooms? Iv recently done the 17th edition and it seems perfectly fine to now put them in the bathroom as long as its outside zone 2 and everything on an rcd. Im currently renovating and iv put it in the bathroom. After talking to a few other guys they still say they wouldnt pass an instalation with a switch in the bathroom??
Ur thoughts please?

Stu

And suitable for the environment

Hate the site of pull switches, have put them inside the bathroom many times before on request, equally as much outside the bathroom door. Realistically u would have to turn the shower head onto it or pour a tumbler of water over and be touchin it at same time to get a shock by which time the rcd would av already tripped.

i put a switch in the bathroom all the time!! its normally attached to a pull cord and stuck to the ceiling!

no hesitation in passing that off....

Now a rocker switch i may have issues with !!

:)

Can you tell me why you would have an issue with it?? 1.5m from zone 2, rcd protected??? I camnot find anything in the regs that says it does not comply.
Is it a personal thing or does it state somewhere it cant be done??

Thanks

Stu

yes either outside or a pull switch , did a call yesterday bathroom light not working changed lamp , pulled switch all ok left got a call light not working went back checked the lamp all ok ,then the customer came in and said its still not working using the switch for the lobby to switch in it , its fine i said pulling the switch they didnt know it was there been in the house for three years and didnt know about the switch and yes theyve had no lights in there for three years hehe i did chuckle to my self they were using the light from the lobby and leaving the door open :rolleyes:

yes either outside or a pull switch , did a call yesterday bathroom light not working changed lamp , pulled switch all ok left got a call light not working went back checked the lamp all ok ,then the customer came in and said its still not working using the switch for the lobby to switch in it , its fine i said pulling the switch they didnt know it was there been in the house for three years and didnt know about the switch and yes theyve had no lights in there for three years hehe i did chuckle to my self they were using the light from the lobby and leaving the door open :rolleyes:

Haha funny story! But can you tell me why you say outside only?? Like i said above i cannot see why it cant be inside if its outside the zone? Is it just preference?. Iv been in oz for the last three years hence me now only just doing the 17th. Anything goes over there sockets next to basins....

Haha funny story! But can you tell me why you say outside only?? Like i said above i cannot see why it cant be inside if its outside the zone? Is it just preference?. Iv been in oz for the last three years hence me now only just doing the 17th. Anything goes over there sockets next to basins....

even outside the zones i feel is dangerouse 600mm from the edge of the bath is outside the zone so unless you have a fan that will suck every scrap of steam from the room you could get moisture in the switch as in a case not in a bathroom but a small toilet where the atmospher was damp the house holder got shocks from the damp light switch ,you never switch off a light with wet hands and when you come out of a shower say your wet so stand a good chance of a shock even if the RCD Trips it will still hurt so prevention rather than risk

even outside the zones i feel is dangerouse 600mm from the edge of the bath is outside the zone so unless you have a fan that will suck every scrap of steam from the room you could get moisture in the switch as in a case not in a bathroom but a small toilet where the atmospher was damp the house holder got shocks from the damp light switch ,you never switch off a light with wet hands and when you come out of a shower say your wet so stand a good chance of a shock even if the RCD Trips it will still hurt so prevention rather than risk

Well i guess its each to there own! Im happy with it in there and as long as it complies with regs thats fine with me. Like i said its a big bathroom with two fans, one above toilet and one above shower cubicle.
I mentioned in an earlier post iv been in Australia for the past 3 years, over there sockets are allowed and every bathroom has one right behind the basin. You never here of anyone getting a shock. Lights switches and sockets are far worse quality than over here so my light switch at the other side of the room really doesnt worry me!

Can you tell me why you would have an issue with it?? 1.5m from zone 2, rcd protected??? I camnot find anything in the regs that says it does not comply.
Is it a personal thing or does it state somewhere it cant be done??

For me it's just best practice although you are fine with what you have done.

A common mistake amongst many Sparks-----
Part 7- Special Installations and Locations should not be read in isolation from the other Parts of the Regs, they are to be applied In Addition to the requirements of Parts 1-6.

-Bearing this in mind take a look at 512.2- External Influences and you may reconsider your acceptance of a standard ready accesible light switch in a Bathroom or Shower room of which in normal use has a high level of humidity and a great potential for splashes of water.

Sparkylad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done several 'posh houses' that will not have pull cords, knightsbridge, kensington, holland park and even good ole sheffield...years gone by....contactors used and 12v tumbler switches, remote...you name it i've done it...now i'm a cowboy, no need for all that stuff....just put the friggin normal switch in....

its ok if outside zone 2 but.....
the people here saying no to rocker switches (non ip65)in bathrooms are saying it coz its just safer...
and it costs nowt for that extra safety so why not have it?
after all do you really need a rocker switch in your bathroom....

Reply to Lightswitch in bathroom?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net