Discuss wiring in a bathroom heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rvawlt

DIY
Reaction score
DIY and new to the forum

Hi there. I want to install a simple bathroom heater in my bathroom (this one: Wall fan Heater 7 DAY Timer PTC bathroom workshop electric wall mounted Remote | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183692212680). I have an unswitched fused spur in the bathroom close to where I'd want to put the heater and I'm wondering if somehow I can wire it into that?
I have no idea about electrics, but if I have to use the cord and the plug to outside the bathroom to a plug somewhere in the hallway that would be super cumbersome.
Any thoughts? Thanks

If you read the instructions for this unit, it includes the following:
  • This unit should be installed at least 1.5m from baths, showers
  • The heater must be positioned at a minimum height of 1.8m
  • The unit must be a minimum distance of 0.2m from any ceiling or surface above the unit
  • The heater must be mounted at least 1m away from any combustable materials incl. furniture
  • If the heater is to be connected to the fixed wiring of the property then installation must include a double pole isolating switch

I think the photo in the eBay listing, showing it mounted above a bath, is somewhat misleading (dangerous, even)!

Assuming you can actually meet the the positioning requirements, you do need an isolating switch, that would normally be outside the bathroom. The unswitched fused spur does not qualify.

My advice would be to go for a proven and reliable Downflow Heater such as the Dimplex FX20. No remote or programmable functions, just a simple pull-switch. But they'll warm a bathroom within 5 minutes and automatically switch off after 30 minutes if you forget.

My advice would be to go for a proven and reliable Downflow Heater such as the Dimplex FX20. No remote or programmable functions, just a simple pull-switch. But they'll warm a bathroom within 5 minutes and automatically switch off after 30 minutes if you forget.
Thanks. I got this one from someone else so I'm not attached to it. Maybe I can find a used dimplex one like what you describe. I do still and again wonder about wiring it in though; where can I find information about that...? Is that something I can do myself, with zero knowledge of electrics?

With zero knowledge of electrics, You would be foolish in the extreme if you attempted to install this heater yourself.
in the electrical regulations there are things that we should do for all circuits.
however there are entire chapters that are specifically for "special locations"
these are because special locations have an increased risk of injury or death from electrical faults and therefore require more care and attention to the design and building of the electrical system.
A bathroom is a special location, and requires a lot more care and consideration than say a lounge or bedroom.

With zero knowledge of electrics, You would be foolish to the extreme if you attempted to install this heater yourself.
in the electrical regulations there are things that we should do for all circuits.
however there are entire chapters that are specifically for "special locations"
these are because special locations have an increased risk of injury or death from electrical faults and therefore require more care and attention to the design and building of the electrical system.
A bathroom is a special location, and requires a lot more care and consideration than say a lounge or bedroom.
thanks.

Agreeing with the above, I've no idea whether that heater is really intended for bathroom use? I don't see the model advertised via any vendor with obvious technical knowledge of the subject. The words 'Zone 3' appear in the listing linked by the OP but I wouldn't trust that very far. The seller adds: 'USE BATHROOM PLEASE FARAWAY FORM WATER' which does not inspire confidence in their knowledge of regulations and standards. It also says 'made for the UK' which probably just means fitted with a 13A plug. Go for a trustworthy UK brand from a manufacturer with an established reputation, which will have been properly approved. Have it installed by an electrician who can test the existing circuit to ensure the earthing and circuit protection are up to scratch.

RCD protection? addition to circuit needs minor works cert and as above special location regs must be met would be better for you to get a sparks in to have a look

The power rating can be switched to either 1 or 2kW using an internal switch before fitting the cover, and for the majority of bathrooms 1kW will be perfectly adequate, and therefore economical to run. Even if one could be found buying second hand is a very bad idea as apart from uncertainty about safety or longevity it will probably contain someone else's dust/fluff/dead skin etc etc ....

Thanks. I got this one from someone else so I'm not attached to it. Maybe I can find a used dimplex one like what you describe. I do still and again wonder about wiring it in though; where can I find information about that...? Is that something I can do myself, with zero knowledge of electrics?
Get a sparky....get a cert

Reply to wiring in a bathroom heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net