Discuss Lost EICR Periodic Inspection in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

punkin

-
Reaction score
Our company in the UK had its Periodic Inspection done over a year ago but now we’ve lost the EICR. We’ve contacted the company who did the inspection for another EICR, but they’ve said they have lost our report because of a server crash.

They’ve told us we have to have the inspection done again and pay full cost.
Is this correct, does anyone know the legality, do we have to pay for an inspection again because they don’t have to keep a record of our EICR?

If there is no record either on paper or electronically then you have no option to have it done again.
Obviously the new one will now expire a year or so after the original was done.

However I can't believe that any company or sole trader does not have a back up procedure either automatic or manual.

Was it supplied electronically originally or on paper?
Was it scanned or saved on a back up somewhere?
Has it been sent to someone as an attatchement in email and that copy is still on your computer?

If you do end up having it redone, I'd use another company purely on principle.
AND make several copies of the new one when it arrives.

An unfortunate set of circumstances.

originaly you payed them for a test report, they supplied it to you.
at this point both you and the contractor have fulfilled your obligations to each other.

the contractor has no obligation to send out copies to you afterwards although if they had a copy, it would be sensible to supply a copy either as a good customer relations opportunity or for a small fee.

however, there is no legal requirement for them to Keep a copy of your report after it has been issued.

if I sold you a gold watch that you later lost, you would have To buy another one to replace it. An expensive document is just the same and needs to be looked after and stored securely.

If there is no record either on paper or electronically then you have no option to have it done again.
Obviously the new one will now expire a year or so after the original was done.

However I can't believe that any company or sole trader does not have a back up procedure either automatic or manual.

Was it supplied electronically originally or on paper?
Was it scanned or saved on a back up somewhere?
Has it been sent to someone as an attatchement in email and that copy is still on your computer?

If you do end up having it redone, I'd use another company purely on principle.
AND make several copies of the new one when it arrives.
We've looked everywhere and cannot find it, the reason when we went back to them for a copy. Thanks for your reply.

An unfortunate set of circumstances.

originaly you payed them for a test report, they supplied it to you.
at this point both you and the contractor have fulfilled your obligations to each other.

the contractor has no obligation to send out copies to you afterwards although if they had a copy, it would be sensible to supply a copy either as a good customer relations opportunity or for a small fee.

however, there is no legal requirement for them to Keep a copy of your report after it has been issued.

if I sold you a gold watch that you later lost, you would have To buy another one to replace it. An expensive document is just the same and needs to be looked after and stored securely.
Thanks for the info, will have to pay again.

Was this a hard copy report or electronic or both? What scheme are they with, i.e. NICEIC Napit etc?
I cannot fully say, the guy who handled everything past away 6 months ago. But apparently he's lost the electronic copy and tried to get another but was struggling with them, and now they are telling us about the server crash etc.
The NICEIC website says they are approved Contractor, Domestic Installer and PAT tester.

From what it looks, we have to pay for another inspection?

A search through your own email server backups might be worth the effort.

I ask about the CPS they are with because sometimes they hold a copy of certificates and it may be worth getting in touch with them to see if they hold a copy. I find it hard to beleive a company big enough to have a server does not have cloud back up! I am a sole trader and I have cloud back up, as well as copies sent through email and for larger installations I write separately to CD a copy. Anyhow it is what it is. It does say on the certificate the it is an important document and to keep it safe, not much use I know I feel for your predicament.

I ask about the CPS they are with because sometimes they hold a copy of certificates and it may be worth getting in touch with them to see if they hold a copy. I find it hard to beleive a company big enough to have a server does not have cloud back up! I am a sole trader and I have cloud back up, as well as copies sent through email and for larger installations I write separately to CD a copy. Anyhow it is what it is. It does say on the certificate the it is an important document and to keep it safe, not much use I know I feel for your predicament.
I might try that but I won't get my hopes up, if they don't do backups then I cannot imagine they would send there copies as well or they would have asked for us, cheers.

Yeah, sounds like one of the best options we could do, cheers
Unfortunately if you can't retrieve it then its going to be a new one done. It's a learning curve at least!

Plenty of times in the past I have mislaid important stuff only to later find myself wishing I had save copies elsewhere. I now save to cloud, on my PC hard drive, on a portable hard drive, sometimes print, and archive any email correspondence with file attachments. All a bit belt and braces, but very reassuring!

good luck!

Absolutely do! Many Sparks/Co. use the NICEIC software and the certs are automatically saved with them.
not too long ago I was in a situation where my computer was completely wiped and therefore so were the test cert backups and program for NICEIC software.

Was told by them there was nothing they could do and I’d have to start over.

I’ve since had a few customers on the phone who have lost the test certs sent to them and as a good will gesture we have revisited site and tested the installation again for free.

Reply to Lost EICR Periodic Inspection in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net