Discuss Lowest Ze on a TT. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spudnik

Afternoon people.

Just finished a PIR on a scout hut with a 3phase 4 wire supply and a very ropey old looking rod buried under the foliage. :D

Thought to my self, "uh-oh"!!

Did a true Ze and got a reading of 0.81 ohms!!!!!!!!!!!

Been racking my brains all day trying to find out why its so low but cant think or find anything.

All circuit Zs would exceptional as well :D

So, what have you had on TT's?

Last edited:
sorry mate, thought youmeant that it was un insulated, and ran buried for 40 meters to the rod. I can se what you mean, its one of the old twisted ones that runs through the building to the rod completly uninsulated through out it s length. The only thing I can think of, and I hesitate to say anything to a super moderator, as, factualy i cannot match your experience, ( With supreme respect ) is that I have worked on these, and on their exit throughout the building, they are of course uninsulated but do lay across and make contact with the water pipes etc, I am led to believe that, even if a water supply is not bonded, if a parallel path touches it, it would become an additional earthing rod as its full of water, I would love your coments as still learning and like alll good trademen/craftmen always will be. I can only learn from peeps like you. !

The Cu is at high-ish level, out through front of building, round the corner and then clipped along the wall along the soffit, then drops down to the rod.

There are loads of dodgy aspects of the install, well some, and ill post some pics if i go back to do remedials.

silly question, but did you disconnect the cable and just test the earth rod?

As it is a 3 phase supply, and the readings are that low, it is very possible that the star point from the transformer neutral has been grounded as well, but as it is TT you still need the earth rods.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit, the main earth, although uninsulated, was in remarkable condition!

But, alas it has to be replaced.

Not a job im looking forward too as its down the side that is about 2ft wide:mad:

Sorry mate, but trying to learn from you, and everybody else. The Earth may of been measured from the CU, but is it doing the biz for the last 40 foot of itslength, thats why the readings are so GOOD ? Have you tried taking the uninsulated cable OFF the ground and re testing ? I am not competing, I just want to learn, it would be good if you could post the final reasons on here, I am fabulously interested and am hungry for the knowledge regards Jason

Reply to Lowest Ze on a TT. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net