Discuss Main Bonding In Place who Checks every time ZE should be tested each time too... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

monkee

I saw the thread about the main bonding checks it got me thinking back to my house bashing days for the local authority they insisted that you checked the ZE or ZS call it what you wish .

The MET point take a reading making sure that you have disconnected all main bonding first make a note if all ok then proceed what ever job you had to do, be it light switch change to a full rewire.

now this is good pratice but I bet know one does it,:75: should we be doing it or not any thoughts...

always test before doing anything more involved than a simple repair/like for like replacement. either by plugging in MFT and reading Zs or a direct Ze measurement. bonding check as well.

Yep, always do it. Even if its just an accessory change, the test only takes 5mins and it can highlight existing problems

it's not just for your own benefit. customer sees you checking with your MFT, gives them the confidence in you, differentiates you from the cowboys.

Likewise, I always check main bonding and Ze before doing anything else. It's the way I was taught to do it, pretty much automatic these days.

Would you check R1 and R2 when replacing say an electric shower thats like for like would you do it changing a six inch pendant like for like issue a MWc for each task or not I do but thats cause I dont have Life any thoughts again LOL

When replacing an electric shower, I always do the full range of tests on the circuit, mainly because it's such a high-draw appliance and also it will be handled when wet and naked! If changing sockets or light fittings I like to check ring/earth continuity for piece of mind. And I wouldn't issue a cert for changing a light fitting or socket, but would for the shower!

For me, it's a no brainer - any work on a circuit (including an accessory change), check for an adequate earth. If you intend to work professionally, can't see why you wouldn't.

i read the post you are talking about and i dont do a lot of domestic work and this is only MY opinion but , i would not go and look at a job lets say to install an outside light i wouldnt say to the customer i will just have to do a few quick checks before i go any further , i would do the job i have been asked to do , check it , test it and if i came across anything that wasnt right i would inform the customer and explain the dangers , then the ball is in their court, i am not sayin its not good practice but i would not expect to take my car in for an oil change and the mechanic to tell me that my 2 back tyres are bald so he is not going to do the oil change and work on my car.
prob not the only one , but the only one to admit it

i see what you mean, but it's more like your garage refusing to replace the brake pads if the brake piupes are corroded. you fit an outside light when there is no earth, you asking for trouble.

i read the post you are talking about and i dont do a lot of domestic work and this is only MY opinion but , i would not go and look at a job lets say to install an outside light i wouldnt say to the customer i will just have to do a few quick checks before i go any further , i would do the job i have been asked to do , check it , test it and if i came across anything that wasnt right i would inform the customer and explain the dangers , then the ball is in their court, i am not sayin its not good practice but i would not expect to take my car in for an oil change and the mechanic to tell me that my 2 back tyres are bald so he is not going to do the oil change and work on my car.
prob not the only one , but the only one to admit it

All I can say is that if you are installing outside lights without bothering to do any checks or tests to see if the earthing is adequate, then you are really leaving yourself open to trouble in the future.

EDIT: Doh, beaten to it by Tel.

I saw the thread about the main bonding checks it got me thinking back to my house bashing days for the local authority they insisted that you checked the ZE or ZS call it what you wish .

The MET point take a reading making sure that you have disconnected all main bonding first make a note if all ok then proceed what ever job you had to do, be it light switch change to a full rewire.

now this is good pratice but I bet know one does it,:75: should we be doing it or not any thoughts...

It seems that unlike your thourghts, that the more professional electricians here DO make the appropriate Ze and/or Zs tests/checks... lol!!

Does anyone write their Ze readings near the CU? A couple of jobs we've been on before the previous installer had written the Ze reading he took for all to see
I often write the Ze and location of bonding clamps/ earth rod on the bus bar guard in permanent marker.

But how does the next electrician that turns up know it is correct? Anyone could write that information down.

But how does the next electrician that turns up know it is correct? Anyone could write that information down.
Oh it's not for anyone else Dillb, just my own reference. Its an age thing. Next spark shouldn't assume it's right anyway, I never assume circuits are labelled correctly by previous installers.:smiley2:

on larger commercial installs i'd expect to see the Ze / Zdb recorded on the switchgear.
it can be difficult to get an accurate earth loop reading without disconnecting earth conductors / dismantling live equipment so having some thoughtful spark mark it on the enclosure somewhere is a bonus if you ask me.

I often write the Ze and location of bonding clamps/ earth rod on the bus bar guard in permanent marker.

first port of call ZE reading and check bond like you i always write them down for next person although i would also expect them to check themselves in case readings have changed do you think we are too trustworthy

Reply to Main Bonding In Place who Checks every time ZE should be tested each time too... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net