Discuss Mains fed smoke/ interlinked in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eyeball

Sorry about this guys... I'm just having an argument with a friend and he said that he saw a thread somewhere that quoted that that if a old property has just been rewired, that the smoke detectors don't have to be mains fed and also that the alarms do not have tobe be interlinked??? I havent got my OSG with me so...
Comments please???:rolleyes:

Quotes from part B

The smoke and heat alarms should comply with BS 5445. They should be mains operated with a standby power supply such as a battery or capacitor.

Thats on page 121 Building Regs Guide for electricians

In a standard house interlinked smoke alrms are to be installed

thats on page 122

This applies to all new builds if you are putting in a new alarm system into an older property what excuse can you use for failing to do the above. I cant think of one that would be good enough if I were in the dock.

Hope that helps

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Chris,
Thanks for the info. To be honest, I've just opened my amazon parcel not 5 minutes ago and in there was my electricians buildings regs so now I can see it for myself and show him to boot.
Thanks again,
P

Hi

Clauses 7.1 of BS 5839 Part6 for domestics If two or more smoke alarms are installed, they should normally be interlinked to ensure that, when any one device detects fire, all smoke alarms in the dwelling give a fire alarm warning.

BS 5839: overrides BS 7671, as BS 7671 directs you to BS 5839

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Mains fed smoke/ interlinked in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net