Discuss Mcb old and new in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

APE37

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,
just wondering if I can pick someone's brains on something I have not needed to do yet so need some pointers.

Looking at a job where there are some wylex nsb breakers 6 and 16 type b in a split load board with main switch and 1 X RCD. Did not pull them out when looking at the job to note numbers as light was going and could not see, so plan on taking some new breakers along in case they need changing, then notify wylex. I don't think they will be part of the recall, as the customer moved in to the property in 2008 and the board was there already and they have not had any work done to the property until now, and the recall is for breakers between 2009-2010 but am taking some just to make sure. Got some wylex nhxb6 and nhxb16 breakers to replace them but looking at them and a old nsb I found, the clamp for the busbar don't seem to line up? The busbar in the consumer unit is a normal type wylex provide with the long piece that goes in the clamp of the bottom of each of the mcb's so I am unsure as to weather the new mcb's will fit along with the old nsb ones that can stay, I.e 32a. Am I missing something or am I needing to get a breaker that needs to be more inline with the nsb type breakers? Or maybe change the busbar.
Would appreciate it if someone can give me any pointers, as this is something i have not come up against before as my work is new stuff usually and not with wylex equipment.
Thanks
ape

NSB and NHX are compatible I believe. The busbar attaches at the front of the MCB, not the protruding part of the busbar into the clamp, but the slot at the front of the busbar seated on the U shaped part of the busbar.

HiAndy,Thanks for the swift reply. I think that is where I am going cross eyed. The busbar is the type that don't have a u shape to it it is an I shape and the pin that goes into the main switch is moulded to fit in the switch with the sticker saying to fit that pin in the switch/Rcd.
I assume I will need to source a busbar that fits into the slotted parts of the breakers. I assume also that the u shape type will fit in mains switches and rcdsas well?
Thanks for your help, much appreciated

I've got a NH CU that came fitted with a U shaped fixed busbar and NSB MCBs in front of me now. The busbar is of the fixed type so you would need mounts in the board to fit one properly.

The busbar you have fits into the clamp section of the MCB right ? I have been told that NSB and NHX are compatible so I would assume that applies to the lining up of the clamps as well as the slot fitting, but check with Wylex technical.

image.jpeg
This is the nsb and next side by side looking up to the bottom, as I see it the clamps don't line up and the new nhx is slightly bigger at the bottom so will push the bus bar away from the older nsb.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 39
the busbar changed, i had the same issue. the proper ones are ****ing expensive. £100 for a B60 tpn mcb!!!!!!

your probably after one with a black clip on the back im guessing? the newer ones are white moulded plastic (call someone up and ask and they will verify it as well)

they do fit if its just a tempory but i wouldnt leave it in there perminantly as it doesnt really lock onto the busbar well (the back is the more important difference than the front)

Last edited:
Done good there, my first attempt at adding attachments. Will call wylex tomorrow and see what they say, will report back at some point tomorrow.
Thanks Andy

APE

Reply to Mcb old and new in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net