Discuss Metal clad consumer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
Right starting to annoy me lol. These new metal clad consumers are bigger than are previous consumer units I've been installing 3rd one this last two weeks were I've struggled for space been lucky each time about 50mm out so I've had to move service head nylons else having similar problems

for some reason i always think of this guy when someone mentions a metal consumer!
metal consumer.jpg

Wouldn't wanna move the service head myself, especially one with old cable. However, recently installed a new CU in small cupboard. The service head was fitted on a large piece of chipboard, which was taking up a lot of space. So we contacted the DNO, asking if it was possible to reduce the size of the chipboard to fit the new CU. They sent one of their operatives to have a look; I was quite expecting them to replace the old piece of chipboard, but he just said to my customer, get your electrician to cut the board down and re-fix it.

Think I've refixed 1 meter board which was hanging off. Usually get the builder to do the moves haha. Did some work for WP the other week mains upgrade to farm house and stables and had to link out the cutout n e for tncs. What they didn't mention was they were only renewing the abc not the supplies so I did them live without knowing [emoji16]

went to a job yesterday to replace a storage heater CU ( rewireable) and the FCUs with sockets, then the radiolink meter was to come out. customer had rang DNO/supplier and was told it would be very expensive if they came out, , so get your electrician to remove it.

went to a job yesterday to replace a storage heater CU ( rewireable) and the FCUs with sockets, then the radiolink meter was to come out. customer had rang DNO/supplier and was told it would be very expensive if they came out, , so get your electrician to remove it.

Wouldn't wanna move the service head myself, especially one with old cable. However, recently installed a new CU in small cupboard. The service head was fitted on a large piece of chipboard, which was taking up a lot of space. So we contacted the DNO, asking if it was possible to reduce the size of the chipboard to fit the new CU. They sent one of their operatives to have a look; I was quite expecting them to replace the old piece of chipboard, but he just said to my customer, get your electrician to cut the board down and re-fix it.

I'd like to know what the response would have been in these two cases had the customers asked "Can I have that in writing please ?" :D

I've noticed this too and I've been converted to the Wilts own brand RCBO boards - they come in a variety of sizes

Is is that the controlgear stuff? All the wholesalers seem to be offering it at the moment I've avoided it because it looks similar to the havalls stuff

Reply to Metal clad consumer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net