Discuss Mounting system advice please in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

saint

-
Reaction score
I am quoting to install 3 rows of 7 modules for a 4KWp system. The Roof is pantiles and the top rail will be too close to the ridge to be able to slide up the tiles due to the ridge tiles being mortared in.
Can anyone recommend a roof anchor which i can drill the tiles and fit over the roof ties?
Thanks

you really should leave a border of around 300mm IMO, if you need to go that high up to to the ridge then this suggests to me that the modules will almost be hanging over the top of the ridge! You should really be clamping 25% of module length from the top of the module and the bottom of the module (leaving 50% of the length in the middle) to comply with the majority of module manufacturers installation instructions. This means that the top bracket should really be at least 3 tiles down (top two you cant really move)

Hope this makes sense

was just about to say the same thing, also with being a roofer, i wouldnt recomend drilling thro tiles either...... opening a can o worms there trying to stop the water getting in afterwards!

Thanks for the reply. The company i have been do ing the electrical work for always drill through the tiles whatever tile they are. I always thought it was a bit odd when they could slip up the tiles.

The visable part of the tile is 300x300 so furthest away from ridge the roof anchor would fit is about 700 i guess. i think i will have to quote larger modules (Watts) and fit less of them.

Thanks again.
d1ssc - dont suppose you work in the South of England do you?

Consider Local Building Regulations
Solar panels are considered 'permitted development' under planning law with no need to apply for planning permission so long as Panels are not installed above the ridgeline and do not project no more than 200mm from the roof surface.

Consider Local Building Regulations
Solar panels are considered 'permitted development' under planning law with no need to apply for planning permission so long as Panels are not installed above the ridgeline and do not project no more than 200mm from the roof surface.

So are you more than happy to go right to the edges and not leave a border of any kind?

I think that's at the installers discretion. The size of the roof and system, how the panels lay out, and the cosmetic appearance. I would suggest the bigger the border the better. I just highlight the point that no regs are being broken so long as they don`t protrude any edges.

I think that's at the installers discretion. The size of the roof and system, how the panels lay out, and the cosmetic appearance. I would suggest the bigger the border the better. I just highlight the point that no regs are being broken so long as they don`t protrude any edges.

good answer :)

Thanks for the reply. The company i have been do ing the electrical work for always drill through the tiles whatever tile they are. I always thought it was a bit odd when they could slip up the tiles.

The visable part of the tile is 300x300 so furthest away from ridge the roof anchor would fit is about 700 i guess. i think i will have to quote larger modules (Watts) and fit less of them.

Thanks again.
d1ssc - dont suppose you work in the South of England do you?

sorry saint i'm up in sunny scotland!

Reply to Mounting system advice please in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net