Discuss Multi-function Tool in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been doing a bit of house bashing recently and can see the appeal of a multi tool, aldi have one coming up for £40 . I don't imagine it'll be great but since i'm mainly industrial/commercial i would only need it on the odd occasion. I have a makita drill so i though about getting their multi tool but the number of times i would use it i couldn't justify the expense. So is it worth going for a cheapo and using it occasionaly or do you really need to spend a decent amount to get one that will actually do the work?
Thanks

£40 for the tool extra for the bits, at least that's what I found last time they had one for sale

I got a clarke one from machine mart with a few blades for about £45. Does me fine for the infrequent use it gets. Blades are cheap there too.

The ones from Aldi are OK, they are not top of the range and the speed control is a bit weak, but if you do not force the tool then it will do you well, certainly worth the £40 (+blades) for occasional use.

I couldn't tell if that includes the charger?? If you've already got the battery and charger for the makita might be better off getting that..No faffing around with other batteries and chargers then and you get yourself a good quality tool!

Can't knock the Aldi one I bought it lasted just over 3 years before I had a problem a mate of mine who repairs power tools did a fix on it to keep it going retired it recently as I bought a Dewalt multi tool but I do use it quite a bit. There is a difference in the two tools but I'd expect that given the price difference I prefer the Dewalt with it's variable speed trigger but for occasional use the Adli one is perfectly ok

I've got the Bosch 10.8V one, and it's become an extension of my arm. Admittedly, if it were a cable one then it probably wouldn't get half the use, but I now can't imagine life without it, tbh.

I got the Makita 18v recently good tool. But you can get good blades from Saxton Blades 12 blades £27 quid delivered. No connection with Saxton's other than a happy customer.

Cheers guys, i was also wondering if it includes the charger :), i'l obviously check before buying it. Think i'l go for this cheapo unit first and see how much use it actually gets then if i'm using it regularly il go for the makita one to match my other kit. It seems like the sort of tool you end up using to replace other tasks(and find new ones just for the sake of using it)
Thanks again folks

i got the aldi one when it was on offer at half price. £20. brilliant. came with several blades, but only 1 battery. got one sent from germany for £22. aldo also do a corded version £30.

+1 for saxton blades for me.
i bought 10 for 34 quid from amazon recently for my fein Supercut.
Still on the first blade and it's had dogs abuse.
ive had the fein for years and it is still going strong

I have a bosch but the corded diy green version which cost £50 a few years ago,I bought a 12 piece kit from fleabay for £20 and it does the job ok.What I would recommend is using a tungsten carbide bit in the tool for when you chop out for sockets and light switches,after you mark out for socket just see how clean the tool cuts it out,most of the time no filling around socket at all,quick as well just remove middle section as required.great invention

About 20 years ago I was working at home and the Mrs saw me butchering the floorboards
hmmph she said "what you need is a sagital saw" ,
"a what" i said
"an oscillating saw, we use them for cutting people's skulls open and taking plaster casts off etc"
nice

She works in the operating theatres!

I had no idea what it was at the time, but I wish I'd come up with the idea of making them available to the tradesman!
hindsight eh

So are these tools mainly used for chopping out? And they cope well chopping into block work etc? How about cutting floor boards? looks a lot safer than the circ saw, thinking of investing in one but never used one.

Have got the makita 18v decent for floorboards and a few cuts and I think you can use new 4ah battery's but also have the corded 110v fein multi master and it's the daddy no question !!
Use Saxton blades all the time but got the more expensive tungsten tipped blades recently - used once and lost half it's teeth just get the cheaper blades ( going to try shark blades next )

So are these tools mainly used for chopping out? And they cope well chopping into block work etc? How about cutting floor boards? looks a lot safer than the circ saw, thinking of investing in one but never used one.

Buy one mate,you wont regret it.I use the carbide bit just to make the cutout for the boxes as it stops the render falling to bits,inside knock out as usual.With the wood blades it will cut precise and looks a lot better than murdering floorboards with a circular especially when they want to have bare boards and varnish.

Reply to Multi-function Tool in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net