Discuss Need advice on what I need to do to progress... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Michael Morris

Oh what a drama I have given myself here.

I started an apprenticeship in 2007 and got as far as receiving all of the Level 3 2330 certificates, passing the AM2... infact I completed every last god damn thing except for my logbook... (I had an opportunity to live and work in Australia for a year and I took it assuming I could pick up where I left off.)

So here I am, back home, with these certificates and my 2356 NVQ2. And nothing else.

No 17th edition. No inspection and testing. No NVQ3. No more apprenticeship.

I want to get back to work and i've been trying to work out exactly what I need to:
a) Enter the industry with my current certs at whatever level I can get (Labourer? Improver?)
b) Become a fully fledged electrical installer.

After a little reading it looks like i'm going to have to take a 17th edition test and the NVQ3 and something tells me this is all going to cost me an arm and a leg!

Can anyone clarify these two are the only hurdles in my way to getting where I want to be?

I plan to also take the 2391 at some point but i'm hoping it isn't mandatory at this stage?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give :)

You need to contact a local college, and ask the same question.
You will not be able to do a NVQ Level 3 unless you are in employment, because this is done on the job.
17th Edition is not a must, but is useful to have, and will cost about £475.
Dont go near 2394 and 2395 (was 2391) until you have some good experience.
The best advice i can give, is do the 17th, then take that along with your other quals, and tout yourself around local companies, and see if someone will give you a chance and complete NVQ L3.

Cheers..........Howard

Reply to Need advice on what I need to do to progress... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net