Discuss "Neutral" as a correct term in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gardner

Is neutral the correct word to use on a 2 wire TN-C-S supply coming from a single 11kv-240 volt single phase 2 terminal secondary transformer? Or would it technically be called the earthed conductor instead?

Look up the definitions in BS7671; Neutral, Live conductor, PEN conductor. I suppose it depends at what point, you are inspecting that conductor?

Last edited:
It depends what frame of reference you want to use, in terms of pure scientific definition I don't think it could be called neutral, but as far as electrical installations and bs7671 is concerned it is still the neutral

It's at or near earth potential but not used as a protective conductor, and it carries the load current.

If it walks like a neutral and quacks like a neutral...

think you made a right duck up of that spelling.

don't be daft. where yo going to find a right div on a bank holiday weekend?

This thread has veered off course and no longer neutral lol :)

As others have said, in context, it is defined as neutral by the regs. It has no potential and therefore neutral.

Reply to "Neutral" as a correct term in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Having a challenge understanding the concept behind why when you measure across line and neutral (live circuit) using voltage indicators we have...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Quick question can you fit an RCD without any neutral connections? If I have a 3 pole circuit breaker which has all 3 poles...
Replies
Views
Hi, someone has ordered Steel Tape Armoured cable instead of SWA. Can I use this armour as a CPC the same as SWA or not and if so is there a table...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm not an electrician, more one of those 'competent DIYers', so probably the worst kind :) My electric shower broke, the shower firm came...
Replies
Views
Hello. New member here. Electrical enthusiast. I am at a friend's house in the Bahamas and decided to look at the load center in the house, which...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock