• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from, or providing advice to, people who are not competent, and / or trained and qualified, in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net. We hope you find the information you are looking for. But if you don't manage to, please feel free to Register and ask a question yourself. You can delete your account at any time should you quickly find the answers to what you need.

Discuss Neutral between phases in the Electrical Talk - All Other Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am trying to connect a smart light switch but there is not neutral. Next to the switch there is a socket with a neutral but it is under a different phase. I understand that it is the same neutral for the whole house on all phases, but when I use the other neutral, it short circuits.

I checked with a voltmeter on the neutral and there is no current at all.

Thanks.

Pete999

-
Arms Access
I am trying to connect a smart light switch but there is not neutral. Next to the switch there is a socket with a neutral but it is under a different phase. I understand that it is the same neutral for the whole house on all phases, but when I use the other neutral, it short circuits.

Thanks.
Best get an Electrician to check if everything is OK with your installation, don't meddle with it, you obviously out of your comfort zone with this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Best get an Electrician to check if everything is OK with your installation, don't meddle with it, you obviously out of your comfort zone with this.
I just wanted to know before calling an electrician if this is at all possible, if there could be a solution.

Pete999

-
Arms Access
I just wanted to know before calling an electrician if this is at all possible, if there could be a solution.
Your descriptions are not that clear gooyster, I can appreciate where you are coming from, still, my advice is let the Electrician sort it for you, dealing with problems such as yours can be fraught with dangers when dealt with from afar.

davesparks

-
Arms Access

Thanks.
You can't connect something between the live of one circuit and the neutral of the other, this creates an extremely dangerous situation for anyone working on these circuits in the future. This is known as a borrowed neutral and is forbidden in the regulations.

westward10

-
Staff member
TA
Arms Access
The OP is in Israel and yes this would create a hazard but local Regulations may differ.

Are there enough independent certification companies?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trending Threads

Top Bottom