Discuss New House, No supply to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The part about two standing charges is not correct, you can get a tariff with no standing charge but a higher KWH cost, if they are only using the garage power for lights and power for the odd power tool it will probably make negligible difference, this would be different if they were going to run a freezer etc in there.

I had a similar arrangement at a previous house and had a meter in a garage in the block used to cost me about £2 a year if that! The utility company have to charge a standing charge but they can set this to zero in any case so if your friend spoke to their proposed supplier they would probably be able to arrange this and get both billed on the same agreement/contract.

The part about two standing charges is not correct, you can get a tariff with no standing charge but a higher KWH cost, if they are only using the garage power for lights and power for the odd power tool it will probably make negligible difference, this would be different if they were going to run a freezer etc in there.

I had a similar arrangement at a previous house and had a meter in a garage in the block used to cost me about £2 a year if that! The utility company have to charge a standing charge but they can set this to zero in any case so if your friend spoke to their proposed supplier they would probably be able to arrange this and get both billed on the same agreement/contract.

Have a look at this link I had to pay by D/D to get this reduced on an empty house.

https://customerservices.npower.com...2LzEvdGltZS8xNDU0NzgxNjk0L3NpZC9mWUMqUnBJbQ==

Thank's , I will look into that on Monday.
I did try a few at the time ,but they were all singing from the same sheet.

I found a similar topic on another forum. The garage in this topic (newbuild) was down the end of the garden, & over a communal path. The garage was part of a block of 3 garages with a flat above. The advice given on that forum was-
"
You need to act NOW and fast before the development is finished

First you need to negotiate with the builder or land owner for him to grant you a right of servitude for you to run a cable under all and any land needed to get from your house to the garage. Get your solicitor involved in that, and make it a condition of the house purchase that such rights are included."

Unfortunately, the house next door to my mate has completed. The flat remains unsold.
I wonder if its too late!

I found a similar topic on another forum. The garage in this topic (newbuild) was down the end of the garden, & over a communal path. The garage was part of a block of 3 garages with a flat above. The advice given on that forum was-
"
You need to act NOW and fast before the development is finished

First you need to negotiate with the builder or land owner for him to grant you a right of servitude for you to run a cable under all and any land needed to get from your house to the garage. Get your solicitor involved in that, and make it a condition of the house purchase that such rights are included."

Unfortunately, the house next door to my mate has completed. The flat remains unsold.
I wonder if its too late!

Is this is Scotland as a right of servitude is Scottish law, the problem is with crossing peoples land is that they need to give permission it isn't a given that they have to. In the UK I think it is called an easement or way leave, my nephew had a similar issue where he had a cable going through his roof to serve another property. He didn't want it there and withdrew the permission and got it moved.

This generally is a nightmare legal issue and the concept of running cable through someone elses' house is a non starter IMHO, probably one the developer is not going to be that worried about solving either due to the legal costs involved. If your friend can get the ebico zero rated standing charge supply and a bit of compensation it will be the path of least resistance!

The developer can't just run a cable along the footpath if it is going to be an adopted road so it will have to be a supplier making a connection to the supply and a different cutout.

Reply to New House, No supply to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net