Discuss New inbuilt oven circuit (25A), can I do double isolators for the hob? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Howdy experts,

I normally run 6mm T+E for cooker circuits, housing authority spec. I'm changing my gas inbuilt double oven and hob for electric/induction to pre-prep for the upcoming winter gas shortage.

Has anyone done 2x45A cooker isolators on the same circuit, I ran 10mm and a 40A MCB. Cooker is max 25A and induction hob is max 30A, diversity is we will never use both together or have all hobs on.

I didn't realise the hobs were hungrier than the ovens and i'd rather not lift the floor again to run another 6mm, and take up another CU way. So 2 cooker isolators on one 10mm circuit?

As Tel says if space is tight then you can just whack both on a single switch , if you have space and time then you can install 2 switches

I personally don't like using 10mm , if I am wiring a new kitchen and don't have the spec I pull in 2 x 6mm cables to the oven and hob location and fuse down accordingly back at the consumer unit. But that's just me as I find 6mm much nicer to work with

It is possible to loop 10 sq mm in and out of the better quality cooker isolators. It’s not pleasant doing it though! I’ve done it a couple of times using a 45mm box; on both occasions the plans changed during the job.

If still first fixing then I wouldn’t plan to do it this way myself, running multiple circuits in 6mm is preferable as Dusty said.

I can see that looping 10mm through would be a struggle. What do we think about looping out of the first isolator into the second, using a smaller cable with lower rating than the MCB but protected against short-circuit, on the basis that the oven is a fixed load? A cable the same size as the oven's own would be sufficient, so long as it can be effectively terminated in the same terminals as the incoming 10mm.

There would be the objection that someone might use the second point for a hob in future, not realising that the cable was not rated for it.

You can get a dual cooker connection plate which is designed to connect a hob and an oven to the same cooker supply. There's no need to install 2 isolators or mess about splitting the supply in other ways.

Awesome, just what I needed, thanks. It looks weird though, is that for a 1g box with the rest of it dangling out over the front?

Reply to New inbuilt oven circuit (25A), can I do double isolators for the hob? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock