Discuss New member seeking advice on spurs ring mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the site and wanted to seek some advice thanks, relating to adding fused spurs to existing ring mains in a commercial premises.

Some of my other colleagues have been asked to explore ring main alterations, but they look after some site based kit and this is more related to buildings and structures.

I'm currently studying electrically after being in other fields over the years so my knowledge on the topic is limited. I don't have 18th edition and limited knowledge of legal regulations.

I'm not sure who is legally authorized to alter the existing ring mains being a place of work and not a domestic premises. We have electrical skills in the team but its more the regulations and certification needed to sign off the work for insurance and so on that I wanted advice on.

Would really appreciate any advice

Thank you

this would be a good place to start your research.
it is also a useful book to have in any organisation in my opinion.

I thought we'd put the 'ring main' business to bed years ago for final circuits, be it domestic, commercial or industrial.

I take it your in some sort of maintenance team? I'm a qualified electrician. However my employer will not allow me to carry out any electrical installation work etc, due to insurance and warranty purposes. Plus I haven't the work time anyway.

I take it your in some sort of maintenance team? I'm a qualified electrician. However my employer will not allow me to carry out any electrical installation work etc, due to insurance and warranty purposes. Plus I haven't the work time anyway.
Hi, Yes we have different skilled teams onsite but they all look after things like 3rd party kit not buildings and structures. But some of the guys were discussing what work is allowed to take place and that was one of the things we queried. Legal and insurance obligations in terms of regulations. Management seem to think we can be tasked with anything lol

Hi, Yes we have different skilled teams onsite but they all look after things like 3rd party kit not buildings and structures. But some of the guys were discussing what work is allowed to take place and that was one of the things we queried. Legal and insurance obligations in terms of regulations. Management seem to think we can be tasked with anything lol
Same here. All such work carried out by contractors, even such as changing a damaged socket outlet, although I’ve changed a couple when a danger to others and can get sparks in.

Most of my time is spent on compliances and keeping clients happy!

Hi, I'm not aware or sure what you mean, electrical isn't my main skill as I'm just starting to learn it. Could you explain thanks
He’s just referring to the change in terminology.
“Ring main” is old hat. We now call them “ring final circuits”

Adding to an existing circuit would require a minor works certificate, and this needs signed off by an electrician qualified to 18th edition of the bs7671 regulations.

If there’s a lot of fused spurs going in, I’d think about the added load on the circuit. Are these for heaters, or other fixed items? What is on the circuit already?

Your premises will likely need an EICR every now and again (electrical installation condition report) to satisfy insurance companies, so do the work just before then, and the EICR will cover it. 😁

Reply to New member seeking advice on spurs ring mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net