Discuss New to trade & looking at training routes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RobSoanes

Hi, I'm currently driving a cab in Cambridge and struggling to justify my job ( hours & reducing income ), so I'm looking to jump out & train to become an electrician. There seem to be a few companies offering class and home based learning packages and after finishing I wil be 'qualified' to start work on domestic installs etc. I was hoping to hear of similar experiences with this type of training and pitfalls I can't yet see from where I'm standing !

Thanks in anticipation - Rob

the problem with these courses is the lack of experience they give you rob. You may well finish with qualifications, but our industry is geared towards both qualifications and competence.Competence is only acheived with knowledege and experience. When you finish your course, you will be set loose to work on peoples houses with no experience. Any mistakes tyou make will notr be picked up, as you wont know any better.

My advice is to go to evening classes, or one day a week classses to do the full city and guilds, while working as an electricians mate/labourer. This will mean that when finished, you will have lots of experience, and be able to work across all sectors of industry, not just domestic. Book yourself onto an ECS course to get your safety card, this will allow you to work on sites. Good luck mate.

Reply to New to trade & looking at training routes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'm looking to re-train and get into the trade. I'm thinking of going with evening classes (2 evenings a week) to get the 2365 level 2&3 but this...
Replies
Views
Evening All (or morning depending when you see this). Sorry if this has already been discussed or asked, I'm new to this whole forum business...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new...
Replies
Views
Hi all, apologies for another thread, I've done a search of the site and there's loads of info on here, but I'm finding bits here there and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, been a user of the forum for many years now as a complete lurker and throughout this time I would firstly like to thanks everyone for...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock