Discuss Newbie coming into Sparky life - North Wales in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

evanspark

Just joined this morning and thought I'd pop here and say hello.

I'm Greg, 22 years of age and currently live in Colwyn Bay, North Wales.

I'm currently in college studying 2330 level 3 but have my 2330 level 2, 2351 level 3 (knowledge of electrical engineering), PAT testing & Part P building regulations certificates to hand ;)

I'm also sitting my 17th ed. wiring regs exam in 4 weeks time, then on to the 2392 course alongside the main course.

I've just gained work experience once a week unpaid with 'cartrefi conwy' working alongside an approved electrician, re-wiring community homes etc, which should be hugely valuable to me :eek:

I'm looking forward to becoming a dedicated full time sparky and progress as far as I can within the industry.

If anybody would like to give me a few pointer or give me any advice at all or which tools to get etc as im about to start building a tool box up, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg

Build it as you go but for starters
Various screw driver
Pliers/side cutters
cable croppers
Ajustable spanner
Knife
Hacksaw
Grips
File
Head lamp

Cheers for the replies.

I hear Ck make good quality tools, I'll check prices etc. out today, possibly get something ordered to get the collection started

Hello and welcome. Always carry an extra pair of snips and a terminal screw driver just in case. Also get yourself a voltage indicator, for the price of half a dozen pints it could save your life.

Last edited:
Could also add putting an OSG in your toolbox plus a small note pad to draw any circuits to make it easier to understand. Make sure you have an assortment of screws and plugs, extra batteries for your torch, floor board saw, hack saw + blades and most important a flask for your coffee ;).

Cheers again mate ;)

I'm guessing it's out of opinion really, but which seems better - a tool bag or box? I guess as a box is solid, it'd be handy to use and maybe more durable? I'll look into it

Welcome to the forum!
CK make good screwdrivers, for snips, pliers etc you can't beat Knipex - built like a brick outhouse and from what I've heard their customer service is out of this world.
Toolbox/bag is down to personal preferance, there are a few threads on the forum on that issue.
Personally i prefer a box because you can sit/stand on it, it keeps dust and rain out, offers a bit more security and easy to wipe clean.

Just joined this morning and thought I'd pop here and say hello.

I'm Greg, 22 years of age and currently live in Colwyn Bay, North Wales.

I'm currently in college studying 2330 level 3 but have my 2330 level 2, 2351 level 3 (knowledge of electrical engineering), PAT testing & Part P building regulations certificates to hand ;)

I'm also sitting my 17th ed. wiring regs exam in 4 weeks time, then on to the 2392 course alongside the main course.

Cheers,
Greg

Hows Garry Hills doing? Steve? Pauline? :)

When I was up there Fred Weston used to be good at taking on apprentices if cartrefi conwy don't take you on .

Hows Garry Hills doing? Steve? Pauline? :)

When I was up there Fred Weston used to be good at taking on apprentices if cartrefi conwy don't take you on .

Small world...

How long ago did you study at Llandrillo? I'm unsure who Pauline is but Garry Hills & Steve Wilkinson are still there, Steve is mega intimidating in his lessons though, you tend to keep your head down and act busy ;)

Cheers mate, I sent a cv & covering letter out to Fred Weston but had no reply, I'll try again in the future. I've just arrived home from a meeting with Cartrefi, I'll be doing 2 days a week for 10 weeks and they sound really enthusiastic about helping me progress so I'm really looking forward to it! Also Lisa Stigwood from college is working alongside them (she came to the meeting also) to give feedback etc.

Good stuff! I was there for 2 years, did 2330 2/3. Is Nev still there? If its the same Lisa who used to be in the college workshop she's a star and definitely one to listen to.

Is it rewires, bathroom and kitchen upgrades you doing with catrefi conwy? They looking to take on any sparks? lol :)

Good stuff! I was there for 2 years, did 2330 2/3. Is Nev still there? If its the same Lisa who used to be in the college workshop she's a star and definitely one to listen to.

Is it rewires, bathroom and kitchen upgrades you doing with catrefi conwy? They looking to take on any sparks? lol :)

Yup Nevs still there, hell of a tutor to be fair to him, How he remembers all the 5 billion equations so fluently, I'll never know.

Yep thats the one, I used to have Lisa and Ste in the workshop on 2330 level 2, now it's Garry and Heidi (employed a year or so back) for 2330 level 3. I don't have her for any lessons at all but I'll end up seeing her a lot more since she's helping with the placement.

It's alsorts apparently, depends whats going on at the time, could be a full re-wire, minor upgrades, kitchen upgrades. They're going to get me involved heavily in the testing side too.

I haven't a clue if they're taking on at all but the people in there seem dead friendly n down to earth, would definitely be a good place to work full time.

Reply to Newbie coming into Sparky life - North Wales in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net