Discuss newbie hello in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been signed up to his forum for a couple of years now which was when I first enquired to become an electrician. At that time I hit a wall and couldn't become an electrician, I couldn't afford to bean apprentice and I couldn't afford the cost of an evening course.

anyway 2 years later and I am now signed up to become fully qualified electrician using a tailored course which is predominately home study and then practical exam 3 weeks of the year.

Im so excited and iv started getting my head stuck into the book. I'm 33 so hopefully I can be trained in 2 years which they say is possible.

Id appreciate any advice with how I can study the material best and how I can simplify some of the maths/technical sides etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Good luck with the course, it can be hard if you have no one to discuss things with so it may help to find others near you doing the same course if possible so that you can share your thoughts and ideas.
If at all possible it would be useful to be in contact with qualified electricians who could help out, ah ha perhaps this forum!
Although personal contact can be beneficial.

You will probably find that the limited practical experience will hold you back a bit, so getting a chance to real world practice under guidance will help a lot.

Maths wise it is just breaking equations down to level that make sense to you and then slowly building them back up to a connected whole.
Some of the maths is reasonably easy and others becomes more complex to understand, but try and relate it to real world examples so that the process can be understood, then the maths may become more comprehensible.
Possibly a short course in mathematical equations used in electrical installation, or a book of the same type may help.

Good luck with the course, it can be hard if you have no one to discuss things with so it may help to find others near you doing the same course if possible so that you can share your thoughts and ideas.
If at all possible it would be useful to be in contact with qualified electricians who could help out, ah ha perhaps this forum!
Although personal contact can be beneficial.

You will probably find that the limited practical experience will hold you back a bit, so getting a chance to real world practice under guidance will help a lot.

Maths wise it is just breaking equations down to level that make sense to you and then slowly building them back up to a connected whole.
Some of the maths is reasonably easy and others becomes more complex to understand, but try and relate it to real world examples so that the process can be understood, then the maths may become more comprehensible.
Possibly a short course in mathematical equations used in electrical installation, or a book of the same type may help.

thankyou for the reply. I will hopefully make some electrical friends once I start the practical as the nearest college to me is Wolverhampton and I'm Leicester so I may find someone who wants to car share.

i know quite a few electricians who work at the maintenance department at work so I can always speak to them for advice too. Iv also spoke to work about doing some shadowing which they seem happy for me to do which will give me some great experience in real life situations.

as for the math, I can do most things is I break them down and slowly learn them so I'm not too scared but at the moment it is a stumbling block. Long devision seems to be the problem haha

thanks

as for the math, I can do most things is I break them down and slowly learn them so I'm not too scared but at the moment it is a stumbling block. Long devision seems to be the problem haha

thanks

There was a mathematician name Hall
Who had a hexahedronical ball
The cube of its weight
Twice his pecker plus eight
Was four fifths of five eighths of sod all.

Reply to newbie hello in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net