Discuss Newbie question, installing UPS at fuse board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI,

I'm brand new and not an electrician so please accept my apologies for what might be a truly idiot question.

In the past month, we have experienced a series of short (less than 2 seconds) power outages. These happen at random, often at night but sometimes during the day. The entire street is affected so it isn't my own property causing the issue - I hope, anyway!

I run a ton of computer servers, many with their own uninterruptable power supplies so they aren't affected but I can't run all of them on UPSs because the cost is enormous. As a result, I'm now having issues with certain machines rebooting at random, and equipment like NASs going down alongside.

In addition, I run a large marine aquarium that has lots of pumps, lights, filtration etc that really doesn't benefit from these 2 second interruptions.

Both the computer servers and the aquarium system are on their own breakers in the fusebox. I have 3-phase supply, to the extent that matters.

Here (finally) is my question: is it possible to install a device INSTEAD of the breaker that runs through a UPS, supplying emergency power for up to say 5 minutes - not enough to run things properly but to deal with these very short outages - and then comes back into the fusebox through a new breaker?

Sorry for the long-winded first question, and I appreciate any help available. It's just these two particular circuits that I'm bothered by, although a full fusebox solution would also be preferable to nothing at all if that is an "easier" option.

Thanks in advance.

Yes but not quite in the manner you describe.

Out of a single MCB rated at the total load you need on UPS.
Into a UPS rated at the total load you need.
From the UPS into a small distribution board to split into however many Circuits you need, unless you buy a UPS with several outputs

The UPS will keep everything running when required.

HI,

I'm brand new and not an electrician so please accept my apologies for what might be a truly idiot question.

In the past month, we have experienced a series of short (less than 2 seconds) power outages. These happen at random, often at night but sometimes during the day. The entire street is affected so it isn't my own property causing the issue - I hope, anyway!

I run a ton of computer servers, many with their own uninterruptable power supplies so they aren't affected but I can't run all of them on UPSs because the cost is enormous. As a result, I'm now having issues with certain machines rebooting at random, and equipment like NASs going down alongside.

In addition, I run a large marine aquarium that has lots of pumps, lights, filtration etc that really doesn't benefit from these 2 second interruptions.

Both the computer servers and the aquarium system are on their own breakers in the fusebox. I have 3-phase supply, to the extent that matters.

Here (finally) is my question: is it possible to install a device INSTEAD of the breaker that runs through a UPS, supplying emergency power for up to say 5 minutes - not enough to run things properly but to deal with these very short outages - and then comes back into the fusebox through a new breaker?

Sorry for the long-winded first question, and I appreciate any help available. It's just these two particular circuits that I'm bothered by, although a full fusebox solution would also be preferable to nothing at all if that is an "easier" option.

Thanks in advance.

I have an APC UPS3000 installed here at home for the very reason you are describing.
I have it plugged into a 13 socket and run a radial from the output to my computer equipment ( protected by a 16a MCB )
Bear in mind that there is NO point in installing any RCD protection on the output as it is isolated from the incoming supply.
Works a treat and has the added advantage of protecting against Overvoltage as well as supply failyre.

Hi yes, I understand the point of the APC units and have some myself. But I'm talking about protecting an entire circuit AT THE FUSEBOX rather than by the computers. So some device that replaces the MCB as snowhead suggested.

You'll need something at least around the size of that APC 3000 unit to supply all your equipment for a few minutes of downtime. The trick will be finding a place to install it reasonably close to the consimer unit and adding another CU for the output of the APC.

I'd also be expecting some way to safely bypass the UPS for if/when it breaks down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Newbie question, installing UPS at fuse board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net