Discuss Niceic assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This question is to those who are niceic. I am an approved contractor, I had my second periodic inspection on this previous Monday. The assessment had started as it usually does 8 till 12 everything went well however I had just realised by chance actually that the niceic had billed me for an additional half day. In total my yearly registration has cost me 580 plus an addutional 384. This is crazy. Almost a grand for the year. Has this happened to anyone before? My assessment was finished around 11.30 but he stayed and chatted for a while which is no bother but how do they justify an additional 384. I have phoned them only to be fibbed off and send in a email to which they haven't responded. It's disgusting*

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear this is their current tactic to fleece their members. Happening a lot.
I'd fight it. If you've been forced to pay for a full day and had half a day then you should ask them for a full written explanation that you can take to trading standards.

The annual assessment for the approved contractor scheme should be a full day assessment, domestic installer is a half day assessment.
If you have not had a full day assessment then your assessor may be at fault for not providing the service you are paying for.

I ve always been approved, but never been full day assessed except the initial start of registration. He asked to see two jobs only which I had no complaint. But he left at exactly 12.21 only because my mother had made him a pack lunch as we considered him a guest. It's a joke, seriously, I'm a sole contractor and it's a struggle out there as all would agree. How do they justify that? I am considering giving them a call to send the assessor back down and make him stand in my office for the additional time I paid for.
[automerge]1583457504[/automerge]
I hear this is their current tactic to fleece their members. Happening a lot.
I'd fight it. If you've been forced to pay for a full day and had half a day then you should ask them for a full written explanation that you can take to trading standards.
So it ain't just me, to be honest he couldn't wait to get out, I am definitely fighting it.

I think this is an 'admin' error. I understand all schemes will charge an additional fee, if an assessor has to revisit to inspect a non compliance during your initial assessment. Someone might of ticked the wrong box.

PS you have some personal details in your pic, which you might ask a Mod to redact.

I pick the dirtiest smelliest house I can to take my assessments at.....they don’t hang around for long I’ll tell ya! ?.....if I’m not working I’m not earning and I don’t want to be wasting my time chatting with someone that ain’t paying ME!....have also heard of a mate being charged this by NIC....

I think this is an 'admin' error. I understand all schemes will charge an additional fee, if an assessor has to revisit to inspect a non compliance during your initial assessment. Someone might of ticked the wrong box.

PS you have some personal details in your pic, which you might ask a Mod to redact.
I have just seen it and removed it as it also showed the assessors name.

I pick the dirtiest smelliest house I can to take my assessments at.....they don’t hang around for long I’ll tell ya! ?.....if I’m not working I’m not earning and I don’t want to be wasting my time chatting with someone that ain’t paying ME!....have also heard of a mate being charged this by NIC....
Charged what? Mate

I am only registered with the Domestic Installer scheme so half day assessments.
Have the same guy each year come see me. once they get to know you an what your work is like and that you are not a plum then I do think they spend less time with you and are not as thorough. on the first visit they tend to be quite rigid and to the book.
Not had reason to get the AC status as 90% of my work is domestic.
If you are paying for a full day I get that you are annoyed if they are gone by lunchtime. Could look at is a positive that they had no concerns. But if they bill you for 1.5 days instead of 1 then that is a bit of a liberty.

The annual assessment for the approved contractor scheme should be a full day assessment, domestic installer is a half day assessment.
If you have not had a full day assessment then your assessor may be at fault for not providing the service you are paying for.
This is not always the case, been an AC for over 20 years and never had more than half a day. Most recent visit was in early feb, 1pm till 4pm.

This is not always the case, been an AC for over 20 years and never had more than half a day. Most recent visit was in early feb, 1pm till 4pm.

Weird, it's supposed to be a full day.
But then they spend half the day travelling with me, we have to get in to Central London and back.

I can only speak for myself but it’s normally meet the assessor at 9 in the office, go through the paperwork for an hour , off to site for 3 jobs, back to office for closing summary and all wrapped up by 3.
That includes buying the lunch
AC contractor

In the past year Stroma have just introduced approved contractor status. Which I have taken advantage of. The year before I just had a telephone assessment asking what work I had done. Aside from the fact it was the same cost I think it is fair enough. After all they have come and pored over work in a commercial environment the few years previous and have got to know me. When they wanted to see certs I pulled out about 300 pages of them which they glanced at in a cursory fashion. In the end they were quite clear I was not fresh out of a five week course with no experience and probably have me marked as such. I sometimes wonder why they inspect every year when they know what calibre of person they are dealing with. Looking forward it is all change again as NAPIT has appeared over our new portal and bringing with them the exorbitant NIC fee structure gawd help us! But that is in 2021 they are going to soften us up first I am told, in not so many words!

I had the exact same scenario that happened to me on my second AC visit (finished about 12.30), was completely unaware I'd be getting charged extra until I received the letter through the post, phoned them up and had a moan but had to pay in the end...

Was agreed after with my assessor that a half days visit is enough as most of my work is local, which was the case in Januarys assessment.

I get on very well with our assessor, we spend a lor of time looking at the backstage of the theatres I work in and discussing how shows work rather than looking at my electrical work.
I can understand that. Few years back we went to a historic church we had worked on, lots of artefacts and stuff and soon lost interest in the job.

I've had the same assessor for the last six years, he says he likes visiting me as it's very easy knowing he won't find any problems and I don't have any of the hostile attitude of many that he visits ! So it's a pleasant and unstressed experience for me really, apart from the cost. :grinning:

Reply to Niceic assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net