Discuss NICEIC registering and assessment process in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

S.t.one

Hi
I have recently decided to set up on my own and start off as Niceic D.I i have been doing my own work (evenings/weekends) for last 2 years (approx).

I also have my 3 jobs ready for my nic assessment (1 x minor & 2 x Major) all tested but im am a little concerned as haven't really been keeping extensive records of the other work i have been doing, have some test certs, mainly minor works, but any major works i have done has been through friends who are already registered with napit/elecsa.

just a little worried as it says in niceic rules of registration "must of been working for no less than 12 months" .. Obviously I have been working as an electrician for longer than 12 months, but will only just be setting up properly on my own as of now.
Does anyone know if this is something they are strict on or ask for evidence of at the assessment?

Don't hold me to this but I think even the NICEIC realise that a lot of guys are just starting up, and for just a DI I think they are flexible on the trading for 12 months, though to be an approved contractor they still insisit on this.

When you booked your assement did you not go over all this with them?

Hi mate I've just joined niceic approved scheme and I've only been set up two months and it's fine aslong as you can show them five jobs- 2 major 3-minor. I've got my site assessment on 7th June.

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for the quick reply

I'm probaly worrying a little to much,
it's early days really as only just submitted the online request form... ..! ;-)

Wayne

Nice one mate, best of luck.

I have only done domestic work for myself so far.. I'm employed working full time at the mo been working on allsorts of commercial/domestic projects..

How are you finding things so far? Do you advertise much?

Cheers
Wayne :)

I've paid to advertise in the yellow pages book. I mostly try and get in local papers/mags but whatever you do don't use google adwords I spent about 300 when I started up and got nothing which seems to be the norm when you look at reviews. I mainly do domestic aswell but with the app scheme you can do testing with no extra cost. I think with the Dom scheme you have to pay more to report pir I could be wrong tho.

When I decided to go it alone, I had very little in the way of my own work (always worked for companies or as a subby). All they wanted to see from me was one minor, and one major example of work. One job I did at home, and the other for a friend (both registered with the LABC....ouch!). As long as the certificate date was within the last 12 months, they were happy.

All they were really interested in was that I could do the sequence of tests, and what the expected results were by reading through the test certificate. I had only been registered self-employed for a few months before I decided to apply for the NICEIC DI Scheme, I think the 12 months is more towards the Approved Contractor?

The assessment isn’t really as bad as you think, it’s amazing what you can blurb out when questioned!

Good luck!:eek:

Got my inspection on monday a bank holiday can you believe, at least i dont have to miss a valuable day off. hope i pass what sort of questions do they ask you ?

Well went to my assessment today waited an hour and a half he never even turned up,what a joke ,and with it being a bank holiday i cantr even contact anyone..has this happened to any of you guys please let me know thanxx...

That's a joke! I would charge them the £500 that they would charge you if you didn't show up! I hope mine goes better on the 7th!

Well went to my assessment today waited an hour and a half he never even turned up,what a joke ,and with it being a bank holiday i cantr even contact anyone..has this happened to any of you guys please let me know thanxx...

tricky890

no way thats P#ss poor... strongly worded letter in order i think,. and maybe some heavy discount,...??

Why would you be given a bank holiday in the first place? I think there has been a loss in translation somewhere. Eitherway if you have written confirmation, You should ask for a free assessment and refund

You have every right to recieve compensation for a late cancellation/no show, I would want EXACTLY the same amount that they would take from you, in the same situation., if they offer nothing/token gesture...........walk away and join elecsa.

I have just paid my money to join the niceic and to be hoist im bricking it as i haven't been trading long as some of you other chaps. So will be watching this feed very closely to try and pick up some tips or advice. Anyone know where i can get some more testing experience? I've done all my college bits and got my 2392 but haven't had much practice.

I have just paid my money to join the niceic and to be hoist im bricking it as i haven't been trading long as some of you other chaps. So will be watching this feed very closely to try and pick up some tips or advice. Anyone know where i can get some more testing experience? I've done all my college bits and got my 2392 but haven't had much practice.

Buy guidance notes 3 and use your own board at home and test test and test. You will be fine!

It's surprising that an assessor arranged a date which is a Bank Holiday, I 'd have thought you would all be on your holibobs?. I had my annual assessment the other week and had a couple of letters and a final reminder of the date for assessment so presumably you had these letters too? The assessor and I also spoke on the phone a couple of times and he gave me his email and mobile No so I could contact him. Did they leave any contact details for you?

Having been a NAPIT member I have to say the NICEIC assessment was the best I have experienced. The assessor spent the whole day with me - from 08.50 until after 1800 hrs! Felt like I got my monies worth and there was some value to the process. And of course, we don't have Part P to contend with in Scotland, so my qualification is now somewhat redundant.

Reply to NICEIC registering and assessment process in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net