• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss No historical earth found in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
No historical earth fitted in a block of 6 flats attached is an email from 3 years ago is this illegal
Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• No  historical earth found 0B3E4342-5CC3-4D4A-8D4D-777B06DFCBB5 - EletriciansForums.net
    0B3E4342-5CC3-4D4A-8D4D-777B06DFCBB5.png
    500.5 KB · Views: 21
All properties out there should either:
-have a supplier earth and an external earth loop impedance measurement of well under 1 ohm (in simple terms) OR
-not have a supplier earth, have an earth electrode, and a higher reading is to be expected. These also need an RCD protecting the whole installation.

UKPN is not obliged to provide an earth if they have not previously provided one.

Now, your email....More context is really needed.
It appears to be implying there is no supplier earth, implying there's no earth rod fitted (UKPN have suggested to install one) and then goes on to say with a external loop impedance of 4.27 ohms you don't need an earth rod because there's an RCD.
If I'm understanding it right, then I'm afraid this is totally wrong advice.

What has bought this matter into focus now? Has another electrician said there is no earth connection at all?
If so it needs urgently looking at.

The email suggests that your DNO does not provide an earth to the property, has declined to do so and requested that an earth rod be fitted.

If I'm reading correctly, your electrician has not confirmed that a rod is in place, has not fitted one and assumes that earthing arrangement is okay due to RCD protection and ZE of 4.27Ohms. If no earth rod is in place, it may be that the reading was obtained from bonding to utility services and this is not acceptable. If remedial work stated in email was not carrierd out, to include installation of an earth rod, please engage the services of a competent electrician to check this as a matter of urgency and, if necessary, rectify the situation.

One valid point your electrician does raise is the fact that your installation relies on electronics for disconnection in the event of certain types of fault. An additional level of protection can be installed in the form of an upfront, time delayed RCD that covers the whole installation and allows for a 2nd layer of protection should one or the other fail.

Thanks for your reply

There is no rod in place Another electrician has highlighted it as an electrical cert needs to be carried out, I have been onto UKPN this week to arrange a survey to see what’s need doing
It’s only been 50 years with out an earth
When who ever fitted smart meters why would they have not noticed no earth
I had electrical work carried out in my kitchen and a new metal fuse box 5 years ago
I feel disappointed that it was not noticed before

The email suggests that your DNO does not provide an earth to the property, has declined to do so and requested that an earth rod be fitted.

If I'm reading correctly, your electrician has not confirmed that a rod is in place, has not fitted one and assumes that earthing arrangement is okay due to RCD protection and ZE of 4.27Ohms. If no earth rod is in place, it may be that the reading was obtained from bonding to utility services and this is not acceptable. If remedial work stated in email was not carrierd out, to include installation of an earth rod, please engage the services of a competent electrician to check this as a matter of urgency and, if necessary, rectify the situation.

One valid point your electrician does raise is the fact that your installation relies on electronics for disconnection in the event of certain types of fault. An additional level of protection can be installed in the form of an upfront, time delayed RCD that covers the whole installation and allows for a 2nd layer of protection should one or the other fail.
I have just replied to your response
Thank you

Reply to No historical earth found in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back