Discuss No longer competant in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr Magoo

After being self employed for the last 5 years and paying the NIC scam ransom i got fed up with the hassle of it all so took a full time on the books job and i am pleased i did,having a young family and mortgage its nice to know how much i have coming in each month,i have still been doing the odd job as i was still registered which has now rum out,so i am now no longer classed as competent as i aint registered,i have been asked by a mate to change a consumer unit i explained to him i aint registered anymore and he said he aint bothered as he knows my work will be safe and he would rather trust me than some clueless muppet out of the local rag (his words)so i guess i will have to notify my local LABC,will they charge me the full building notification fee or will they accept my certs(green)as i have 2391 been doing it for years and as of yesterday i was deemed competent by a scam provider.

Something just aint right with this Part P.

And there lies the very problem with this Part Pee crap!! A time served FULLY qualified and experienced electrician deemed not being competent!! Whereas a electrical trainee boy with literary no qualifications and certainly no experience is deemed competent because he has paid a fee to a scam provider!!! If that's not madness and stupidity personified, i don't know what is!! lol!!

After being self employed for the last 5 years and paying the NIC scam ransom i got fed up with the hassle of it all so took a full time on the books job and i am pleased i did,having a young family and mortgage its nice to know how much i have coming in each month,i have still been doing the odd job as i was still registered which has now rum out,so i am now no longer classed as competent as i aint registered,i have been asked by a mate to change a consumer unit i explained to him i aint registered anymore and he said he aint bothered as he knows my work will be safe and he would rather trust me than some clueless muppet out of the local rag (his words)so i guess i will have to notify my local LABC,will they charge me the full building notification fee or will they accept my certs(green)as i have 2391 been doing it for years and as of yesterday i was deemed competent by a scam provider.

think of it like this! if you dont do the job someone else will and less experienced and cause problems your friend will want you to sort out anyway.

And there lies the very problem with this Part Pee crap!! A time served FULLY qualified and experienced electrician deemed not being competent!! Whereas a electrical trainee boy with literary no qualifications and certainly no experience is deemed competent because he has paid a fee to a scam provider!!! If that's not madness and stupidity personified, i don't know what is!! lol!!

it just proves its all about the money

Something just aint right with this Part P.

And this is the crazy world we operate in......totally nuts to be considered competent yesterday but not today sort of thing

Give your LABC a call and explain to them the situation.

My LABC charges non registered electricians half price (£60 instead of £120)

By the way you not being registered with NICEIC does not been your not competent - it just means you cant sign our own work off

I suppose i could pay a Electrical Trainee a drink for passing it for me after checking my test results of course,thats assuming he can understand them.

You didnt hear this from me but..... just go and do the job and say no more!

I am in the same boat as you, I got fed up of the S/E life, not knowing where the money was coming from etc etc and so went back to contract management cards in. Still kept the old company open as i have some subbies that are still working for me, however its all commercial and industrial and I am yet to have the "part p" situation pop up (no longer scam member now either).

Im sure you have a mate who has worked with you and seen your quality of work - throw him a few ££s and get him to sign it off - a CU change is very basic (as long as nothing pops up) - if he wanted to check it he could as everything is open!

Only you know what the best situation is - it would be worth a call to LABC and explain the situation - give no addresses! and ask them how much - might be worth doing it correctly - all up to you mate!

Im sure you have a mate who has worked with you and seen your quality of work - throw him a few ££s and get him to sign it off - a CU change is very basic (as long as nothing pops up) - if he wanted to check it he could as everything is open!

Only you know what the best situation is - it would be worth a call to LABC and explain the situation - give no addresses! and ask them how much - might be worth doing it correctly - all up to you mate!

In the other thread you just stated that not to notify a notifiable job is a very bad thing to do, however its OK to get someone else to notify it for you? ;-)

I disagree with the mass here, im not aware of any enforcable law that states you cant sign off your own work if you dont posess the qualifations needed but are competent.
In a court of law your competence will be what is questioned not the piece of papers you own, a fully qualified electrician can be done for manslaughter just as easily as the next man, it may just mean its harder to proof your case if ever occured but a filed history of correctly written certs and good work standard is what i would say is all you need (competence been the word of the day here)

Next year the chances are they will permit 3rd party tests for unregistered electricians and diyers

I dont know about the Diyer,but I recently jumped the gun on their proposals and was going to do the dirty deed myself for a sparky mate

I tested a couple of flats and completed the test schedule,the work wasn't notified however,but the council were still happy with what they got
No mention by them of notification,so that's just been bypassed

As far as I care,this part p has been no good since its inception and its time to make some use of it
If notification had been insisted on or asked for,I would probably have done it for him

But Nicholas....
Getting other people to sign of your work is naughty and wrong
Surely you're not suggesting Mr Magoo do something naughty?

I disagree with the mass here, im not aware of any enforcable law that states you cant sign off your own work if you dont posess the qualifations needed but are competent.
In a court of law your competence will be what is questioned not the piece of papers you own, a fully qualified electrician can be done for manslaughter just as easily as the next man, it may just mean its harder to proof your case if ever occured but a filed history of correctly written certs and good work standard is what i would say is all you need (competence been the word of the day here)

I entirely agree.
If it were me and I wasn't registered (which I am) for whatever reason, and I wanted to do the odd private job for a freind I'd say...."BALLS TO LABC, BALLS TO PART P Im the bleedin sparky and I's doin the bleedin job"

Not suggesting that anyone else take this cavalier attitude towards nonsensical, unenforceable rules, just sayin what I'd do.

I entirely agree.
If it were me and I wasn't registered (which I am) for whatever reason, and I wanted to do the odd private job for a freind I'd say...."BALLS TO LABC, BALLS TO PART P Im the bleedin sparky and I's doin the bleedin job"

Not suggesting that anyone else take this cavalier attitude towards nonsensical, unenforceable rules, just sayin what I'd do.

So would I , just cause ur not paying a scam money???

End of the day he ain't registered so he's not allowed to do it without notifying building control. I've just paid over £800 to renew my part p so I don't give a damn if he competent or not. No part p no self notification

End of the day he ain't registered so he's not allowed to do it without notifying building control. I've just paid over £800 to renew my part p so I don't give a damn if he competent or not. No part p no self notification

I only pay £400 for part P.......am I allowed to do it? Or would that make you all bitter, angry and hard done by aswell?
Maybe I could just do half the job? Is that acceptable?

What it comes down to is if the worse was to happen does your background, your paperwork inc' certs etc all show your competence, any errors will be used a good defense against you if these errors were deemed to show a lack of understanding etc, recently a plumber was jailed even though he was corgi registered when a customer died of carbon monoxide poisoning, had he had an impecable standard and history he wouldn't have been charged and jailed but a lesser offense; the standard of his work had a trait of been below par and a bit bodgit.... think this made it manslaughter.

As i said... being registered or in a scheme gives a certain wall of protection but incompetence will make it null and void and this works the other way round, if you are highly competent, have a good decade of experience doing what you are doing - better still with a company who was registered then you stand good grounds to proving your competence, its whether you take the risk and do it alone. Il stand corrected but its not a prosecutable offense to work anywhere in an house without notification, im in the understanding it will only be enforced if your work is dangerous or poor standards, no councils want to waste money on cases that they might lose.

I pay £380 or something like that but if I wasn't renewing my enrolment
i would still do the work as a competent time served spark
no one cares only the proper sparks who spent 4yrs training not the 5wwders

Reply to No longer competant in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net