Discuss Not too happy with this work... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We're first time house renovators and recently had an electrician in to replace the main board and rewire the kitchen.

I'm really not too happy with the results. There are cables coming out of the wall below the sockets and running back into the floor, multiple holes around sockets and where old sockets were and worst of all an absolutely huge hole in our hallway above the new main board.

On speaking to the electrician he's advised he doesn't do plastering- but I had assumed he would at least make good after doing the rewire- whether that was included in the additional quote or would be at additional cost.

As a complete newbie to having a rewire and any kind of electrical work done, am I overreacting? It doesn't look as professional as I would have expected....And the cables coming out of the wall and then into the floor dont seem right either.

I'd like to have a chat with him about it but not really sure what to say and how things should look. Not like this, I'm sure!

Anybody?

20181221_145007.jpg

20181221_145025.jpg

20181221_145029.jpg

20181221_145037.jpg

We're first time house renovators and recently had an electrician in to replace the main board and rewire the kitchen.

I'm really not too happy with the results. There are cables coming out of the wall below the sockets and running back into the floor, multiple holes around sockets and where old sockets were and worst of all an absolutely huge hole in our hallway above the new main board.

On speaking to the electrician he's advised he doesn't do plastering- but I had assumed he would at least make good after doing the rewire- whether that was included in the additional quote or would be at additional cost.

As a complete newbie to having a rewire and any kind of electrical work done, am I overreacting? It doesn't look as professional as I would have expected....And the cables coming out of the wall and then into the floor dont seem right either.

I'd like to have a chat with him about it but not really sure what to say and how things should look. Not like this, I'm sure!

Anybody?

View attachment 46601

View attachment 46602

View attachment 46603

View attachment 46604
Did this person issue you with any certification, did he warn you that there could be some making good to the building fabric, was he a member of any of the CPS Competent Persons Schemes (NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, etc) the work is appalling, if he is a CPS regulated electrician, and I use the word loosely, then contact them and complain, if not then I'm unsure of your next step, maybe trading standards, name and shame in the local press.

He hasn't issued us with any certification- should he have and should I ask for this? He mentioned the work was certified but haven't seen any paperwork.

We haven't paid him yet but he has billed us £1600 for the main board replacement and kitchen rewire. I guess we have to pay and then take it from there? He's due to come back to do a few things so am hoping that's going to include sorting stuff out. There was no discussion or warning about making good - perhaps naively I assumed he would do this or work with somebody who would!!!

Not sure what our next step should be.

He hasn't issued us with any certification- should he have and should I ask for this? He mentioned the work was certified but haven't seen any paperwork.

We haven't paid him yet but he has billed us £1600 for the main board replacement and kitchen rewire. I guess we have to pay and then take it from there? He's due to come back to do a few things so am hoping that's going to include sorting stuff out. There was no discussion or warning about making good - perhaps naively I assumed he would do this or work with somebody who would!!!

Not sure what our next step should be.
In a word Yes, an EIC for the CU swap and other works EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) remember the work isn't complete until the certification has been issued.

The original agreement was th at we would rewire the full house for us on a room by room basis, as We're unable to do the whole thing in one go. Does that mean he won't issue certification until the whole house has been done? Not sure I want him to do the whole place now! :eek:
I should add he's coming back after Christmas so is it possible he just isn't finished? The cables coming out under the socket and into the floor seems very odd to me though - that's not usual is it? :(

Looks perfectly reasonable to me. No mention of making good ........

The routing of the cable above the skirting is pxss poor ....
The cable above the skirting is my main issue- there are multiple sockets like that. My other issue is the compete lack of care on the wall installing the RCBO - the wall was perfect beforehand and now it's got a huge hole- it's the first thing visible in our hallway.

The cables coming out of the floor and disappearing into the wall is not all that uncommon behind kitchen units as it can avoid further destructionof the walls and floor.

The hole above the consumer unit is disgraceful, personally I always specify on my quotes that I don't do any making good but even I would have done basic filling if I'd created a large hole like that.

Yes you should receive an electrical installation certificate for the work completed.

That quote shows a very poor standard of technical language, a lot of the terminology is incorrect.

in your situation, i'd be inclined to get an independent sparks to assess it and price for making it right.esp.the cables over skirting boards. then you have ammunition for the original sparks. as in fix it or deduct the cost from your bill. some forum members in bandit country. maybe 1 is near you. as for the making good, i'm afraid that maybe down to you to pay plasterer and decorator. whatever you do, don't pay him the full amount till it's been sorted.to be fair, maybe pay 50%.

If you’re energising circuits you should certify.
Price doesn’t appear that unreasonable to me but hard to judge on limited info.

Speak to the contractor, we don’t bite! The gap above the CU might be being left as there’s more wiring to do in other rooms.
Thanks - that's a good point! Will have a chat with him after new year and see what we can sort out.

in your situation, i'd be inclined to get an independent sparks to assess it and price for making it right.esp.the cables over skirting boards. then you have ammunition for the original sparks. as in fix it or deduct the cost from your bill. some forum members in bandit country. maybe 1 is near you. as for the making good, i'm afraid that maybe down to you to pay plasterer and decorator. whatever you do, don't pay him the full amount till it's been sorted.to be fair, maybe pay 50%.

Thanks, that's what I will do!

1. The hole (or rather mess) in the ceiling above the new consumer unit looks like it has just been hacked out without any thought towards trying to keep it tidy. However, perhaps you had discussed having this wall replastered which gave him license to make a mess.

2. The cables coming over the skirting board are terrible. If this was his work (and it was not agreed that he could bring them over the skirting) then that really is awful.

3. The consumer unit is flush with the wall. If the cables are entering the top of the consumer unit then they need to have grommets like this https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-fire-retardant-semi-blind-grommets-13-piece-set/9638p where they enter the consumer unit or something similar. If they enter from behind the consumer unit then ignore this.

4. The holes in the plaster, including the old holes where the sockets used to be would usually be up to a plasterer to fill, in other words your responsibility. However, this should have been mentioned in his quote to give you some warning.

5. The work needs notifying to the building authorities. If he has taken on the work (and no building inspector has visited) then we must assume that he is 'Part P registered' and able to sign off his own work. You should be receiving an email (or letter) from his governing body at some point saying that the work has been notified.

6. You should also be receiving an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC). This is a certificate that he will be producing himself. It will be 5 pages long (6 including the explanatory page at the end).

7. If you have agreed to have more work done (i.e rewire) then you would not be receiving the above paperwork (points 5 and 6) until the work has been completed.

The cables coming out of the floor and disappearing into the wall is not all that uncommon behind kitchen units as it can avoid further destruction of the walls and floor.

Really?!?!
I'm not surprised that the domestic side of the business is, not wanting to get banned, not where it should be.

Reply to Not too happy with this work... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net