Search the forum,

Discuss Old imperial conduit/new board in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ryan24

Wondering if anyone could help. in my own house i will be fitting an electric shower. There is no RCD on the board. This is a flat that was built possibly in the 60s and was wired using old imperial conduit with no cpc run for any circuit using the conduit as the cpc. I was thinking of updating the board as i have a few circuits i would like to add or extend. Anyone have any experience with this type of installation? Is it ok to replace the board if the conduit is thoroughly inspected and tested? does it need a rewire? Thanks in advance:smile5:

To extend any of the circuits you will need to break into the conduit system. Are you competent enough to do so?? Same basically goes with replacing the CU too!! If you're not competent, then hire/employ a qualified electrician that is...

EDIT...

Is the CU flush or surface mounted?? Is the CU mounted in a steel mantel cabinet (ex council flats) Post a photo or two for us to have a look at what you have,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
what he saiid ^^^^. let's have a photo. as for the conduit being used as cpc's, then test it! best cpc you could get as long as nobodys been buggering about with it.

and any rewiring would be a doodle using old cables as drags fo new singles.

Thanks for your reply. the conduit is run from behind the board from an adaptable box. Someone has just earthed them all together. photo.JPG

what an untidy botch-up. 1 earthing conductor to the metal box would have done the job.

Lay odds those conduits aren't in any direct contact with the cu. Reason for the earth clips, obviously.

edit: Fast asleep, missed the text above the photo.

Sorry.

Last edited:
I'd just stick rcd on tails... Power breaker they called I think..... Tho some testing involved first.

Testing needs carried out here as only few circuits, anything could be on them, preventing rcd from breathing.

No, anyway Who ever wired that 4 way up,good practice was to always fit the biggest circuit close to the dp switch.

I know there isn't, I just wondered why there was a post that said there was! Daz

For not much outlay just get a board and RCBOs in there. Not many circuits so shouldn't be too dear. Daz

No, anyway Who ever wired that 4 way up,good practice was to always fit the biggest circuit close to the dp switch.

Is it?

You’re concentrating all the circuits that are liable to get warm in to one area. By interspersing high and low loads you get better heat dissipation.

Reply to Old imperial conduit/new board in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net