Discuss Outdoor socket on post in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Need a smart looking outdoor socket on a post, either single or double.
Needs to be lockable.

Best I could find is the Rolec camping site pillars, but they are too big and in your face (and they are not lockable)

It is for a disabled buggy charging point, but it will be near the front of a new smart looking block of flats so it needs to look proper. Unfortunatley it needs to be away from the wall, so thats why I'm looking for a smart looking pillar.

Is it going to be undercover as most of those chargers are not suitable for external use.

Is it going to be undercover as most of those chargers are not suitable for external use.
We did mention that but the management company of the block of flats will not let her keep it in the communal hall and will not let her build a shed but have kicked off about her trailing an extension lead out of her window, so they have agreed to let her have an outdoor socket on a pillar.

Hi Doomed
I don't think there is a product available that is exactly what you are asking for.
There are sockets on a pole which are not securely lockable.
There are sockets that claim to be 'lockable' where that just means a cover clicks in place (not with a key), they can be found on a pole!
There is at least one securely lockable single socket, but not supplied on a pole!

If by "lockable" you mean with a cover physically locked with a key (eg padlock), maybe to stop vandalism or people interfering with it, the only single 13A socket with a padlock-able cover I am aware of is from this range:
available here

If you mean a lockable on/off switch with the socket, power switched by a key, there are several of those to choose from (eg MK!), but they are all twin socket form factor, and the 'lockable' cover just clicks shut, not locked with a key. A twin socket might look a bit odd on the top of a pole.
If you only need to 'lock off' the supply (eg to stop people stealing electricity!) you might be able to add a switch indoors. But that would leave a simple outdoor socket vunlerable to vandalism.

But if the above interpretation above would be acceptable, perhaps you could modify this !
I notice there's a little bit broken off the socket cover!
or
Personally not convinced IP44 good enough for this.

Last edited:
Ya they just throwing it out there as 10 heads is better than one.. and you know when ya do something, something easier pops up.

Last edited:
If that's the reason, just to stop other using it, then why can't it have an isolator switch at source?
Because the management company have said that it can't be run from her own DB, but from the main DB for the block and a sub-meter fitted to bill for her use of the communal power. The door to the main switch room is kept locked and only the head of the management committee has a key. The management committee said it must be kept locked.

More I think about it the more I think that we may be dealing with some real A holes here.

Because the management company have said that it can't be run from her own DB, but from the main DB for the block and a sub-meter fitted to bill for her use of the communal power. The door to the main switch room is kept locked and only the head of the management committee has a key. The management committee said it must be kept locked.

More I think about it the more I think that we may be dealing with some real A holes here.
No chance of an isolator fitted outside the switch room in a communal area?
Can't argue with your last sentence.

Reply to Outdoor socket on post in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net