Discuss Outside light wired in flex in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Outside light wired in 0.5mm flex but protected by a 3amp fuse. A 0.5mm flex max is 3A current carrying capacity, would you give that a code for an EICR? Cable size is small but it’s protected by the fuse, was thinking maybe a C3 due to it being a flex outside

Interested in this question - I've never found a reg saying you can't use flex outside, though am aware that fine-wire flex needs to be terminated in the right sort of accessory (e.g. cage terminals) or have ferrules fitted.

Is the flex designed for use outdoors and is is adequately and suitably supported?
Take that route and we're failing millions of miles worth of 6242Y hanging out of the wall before it enters into the bottom of the security light......

With modern floodlights, you have little choice but to use a flex outside - it comes attached to the fitting.
Whether it's acceptable or not depends on the type of flex. PVC flex would be coded or not for the same reasons as PVC T&E.

Interested in this question - I've never found a reg saying you can't use flex outside, though am aware that fine-wire flex needs to be terminated in the right sort of accessory (e.g. cage terminals) or have ferrules fitted.
559.5.6 gives some guidance on that, along with the general principles of suitability

I normally screw a wishka box to the wall and then wire flex to the light

mush easier than trying to wire the light directly to the twin n earth poking out the wall

If I were to be doing first fix on this from scratch I'd probably be pulling H07 from the switch to the outside. Besides anything else, it's neater being black!

The manufacturers guidance for the particular flex is probably the bottom line (not that I'm suggesting that will be easy to determine)
I'd imagine quite a lot of them will be like this one unless it's specifically designed for ponds or outdoor use:
1621516114257.png

Generally speaking, PVC becomes brittle over time due to UV light and exposure, made worse if it's a pale colour. External grade cables use different plasticisers or entirely different materials like rubber.

Reply to Outside light wired in flex in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net