Search the forum,

Discuss Part L... Low energy lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening All,

Could someone please confirm for me, is min amount required still 30% for new builds?

Customer wants down lights everywhere, but budget won't allow for fully LED.

Cheers Sy

had a similar situation meself resently and as JulianC says it's 75% BUT my customer got that percentage lowered (via discussions with thier architect and LABC) due to the fact the whole build itself was very energy efficient in its construction.

It's well worth getting the client to chat with thier LABC and architect as it seem's (in my situation at least) different factors can cancel each other out.

Pg 123 of this doc for reference http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/domestic_building_compliance_guide_2010.pdf

Glancing through Approved Doc L1A it does seem as though some 'trading' between energy efficiency measures might be allowed.

Did see that.... unfortunately not very clear cut.

Nice when you get a domestic job that has a proper spec and electrical plans to work off, wouldnt be down to me then to do whats best.
No input from architect, customer lives other side of UK.... builder is just 'a builder.'

Cheers Sy

I was told by Elecsa that it's at least 75% of fittings "capable" of accepting energy efficient lighting and left that way by you. Considering that halogen units now have a good LED alternative, it's easy to get that figure. The 30% rule was just unworkable when people wanted pendants to use all their free CFL lamps they'd been sent by the various energy firms.
Page 123 of that guide in supplementary info. is quite clear.

As I understand it you have to fit 75% energy efficient lighting, but no longer need to use specific EE fittings, that way the customer is free to change stuff later if they want to.

Edit: Actually, it appears to be a combination of the two: You can either fit dedicated fittings that only take energy efficient lighting, or you can fit standard fittings supplied with low energy lamps.

How many has she got? You can pick up the lamps (dimmable, good quality as well) up for just over £5* off LED hut. If you only make a couple of pense off the lamps at least that's the building regs happy (as if anybody official cares) and you'll still have a happy customer a few months down the line after she finds her electric bills are not written in blood

As I understand it you have to fit 75% energy efficient lighting, but no longer need to use specific EE fittings, that way the customer is free to change stuff later if they want to.

Edit: Actually, it appears to be a combination of the two: You can either fit dedicated fittings that only take energy efficient lighting, or you can fit standard fittings supplied with low energy lamps.

Confirm as above with LABC today.....

Gone up a bit since the 30% rule.

Looks like they're gonna need a few more LEDs then.

Cheers Sy

Reply to Part L... Low energy lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net