Discuss Pendant Lights wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jecaro89

DIY
Reaction score
I recently installed these pendant lights in the kitchen. First time doing anything electrical that is house related. Upon connecting the wires, I noticed there’s too much of a bundle for the light fixture to properly secure. Secondly, do I need a junction box for each fixture or is the metal mounting bracket enough??

Can you post a photo? (Crop image down to reduce file size so forum will upload)

A great many of these decorative fittings from the likes of Next, IKEA, Homebase even aren’t designed well to suit older properties where all the cables for the circuit converge at the light fitting and drop one cable down to a switch.
More modern technique is to have all at the switch and only take one up.

Can you post a photo? (Crop image down to reduce file size so forum will upload)

A great many of these decorative fittings from the likes of Next, IKEA, Homebase even aren’t designed well to suit older properties where all the cables for the circuit converge at the light fitting and drop one cable down to a switch.
IMG_9477.jpegIMG_9476.jpegIMG_9475.jpeg

Thanks for the tip! I tried to post photos with it but obviously didn’t crop lol any ideas? Any help is appreciated! Thank you

That’ll teach me to check OPs location before posting.

Much of what I said was UK biased, but I guess the physical limitations of space part is still valid.

Looks like there’s a box above the ceiling bracket… could some of the wires be up behind? There’s space below as well if the cylinder part is more or less empty.

With practice, you get to know how long the tails hanging out need to be to make it easy. Too short can be as bad as too long.

Reply to Pendant Lights wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net