Discuss phase rotation testers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
anybody use them.

my jtl training advisor wants me to check phase rotation of motors for portfolio.

i don't see the point. the only motors we use are for fans and vsd driven so you can see what way they spin.

i thought fair enough if there not expensive ill have a look but at £100 ill pass

Last edited:
Essential bit of kit for any Electrician, working on 3phase equipment, look on ebay £10starting, I have an analogue one and digi not very expensive but it does the job.

anybody use them.

my jtl training advisor wants me to check phase rotation of motors for portfolio.

i don't see the point. the only motors we use are for fans and vsd driven so you can see what way they spin.

i thought fair enough if there not expensive ill have a look but at £100 ill pass
I have one for sale, 65 quid with free delivery, only been used once, still in the box and an ethos.

so, mike. you didn't like the new avatar i picked for you. how about:

images.jpg

or:

images (1).jpg

So once you’ve checked rotation how are you going connect the motor?

40 years of dealing with motors and I’ve never used a rotation indicator.
so it spins in the right direction

ill be honest with you guys, i need one more for completing nvq list becauae the idiots give a long list off loads of things you need to do.

usually i connect cross fingers that o dont have to swap a phase over in isolator

Last edited:
You connect the rotation tester to the motor and turn the motor by hand in the desired direction. The analogue needle settles in either the positive or the negative side of the scale. You then rotation test your supply with the other 3 leads and it will also indicate positive or negative. You make sure your supply rotation corresponds with your desired motor direction.

My tester can be a bit vague on very small motors <2HP. Above that size it's always worked well. We use it mostly on large screw compressors where reverse rotation destroys them.

I see the Fluke one I linked above detects the magnetic fields by proximity rather than being connected directly to the windings so they obviously improved them over the years. They're also about a tenth of the price I paid 2 decades ago so having seen this I'm tempted to get one.

**Edit** I'm almost in tearsat how cheap the Amprobe version is :( It's obviously using the older technology because you connect to the motor with leads and not just magnetic proximity like the Fluke. At the price though it's rude not to buy two of them if you ask me. http://za.rs-online.com/web/p/phase-rotation-testers/6655909/

Shanky, see PM.
yeah ive checked pm. we usually connect
l1 to u
l2 to v
l3 to w

but because we dont usually run a supply to our panels we don't know if the rotation will be correct

the direction it spins depends on the phase rotation if i remember what my tutor was telling me, (poles usually 120o apart if 3 poles)

:edit

phase rotation not angle as i was quite rightly picked up on.

getting my terminology mixed up lol

Last edited:
If you're machine isn't rotation critical then you can just test run to visually check direction. If it's a fan and it's difficult to physically see it then obviously with an axial you can check if it's sucking or blowing. If it's a centrif or mixed flow it could move air in the same direction regardless of rotation depending on the blade-set but 98 times out of 100 it will have a lower running current in the correct direction plus it will be quieter in the correct direction.

Reply to phase rotation testers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net