Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss PIR codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net



Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Do all sockets need to be rcd protected on a commercial/shop premises or just ground floor ones? All floors are of the same shop.
Any help much appreciated
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #2

BS 7671 411.3.3 socket outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use require an RCD

It goes on to say an exception us permitted for socket outlets for use under supervision of skilled or instructed persons eg in some commercial or industrial locations or a specific labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket outlet provided for connection of a particular item of equipment

Hope that helps



  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
Providing all the other requirements for non RCD protection are met too.


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
I agree with Chris & jason..and would suggest Risk assesment to be the deciding factor here.....all installations have their own specific needs.

does 411.3.3 relate to the socket outlet or the current. it can be miss read so that if the ring is on a 32a breaker then ya dont need to? but am sure it relates to the socket outlet?


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #7
All socket outlets need to be protected by an RCD unless they are used while under the supervision of a skilled/compentant person. Now I don't know about you but I wouldn't class a 17 year old working on a Saturday to earn some extra cash as a compentant/skilled person nor would I class a manager of a shop as one. They may have first aid training but I wouldn't class this as a competant/skilled person. This kind of person is someone like an engineer who works in a factory and has undertaken the necessary training. But again, like everything in the regs, its all down to you, the installer, to make the decision and personally I would just fit RCD protection. At least your covered!!!
Last edited by a moderator:


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #8
Well several things, I prefer best practice guide 4 on reccomendation codes, secondly you do not "Fail" an installation doing a PIR it is either satisfactory/unsatisfactory, and I would agree labelling is a 2 ie needing improvement.

Periodics are not for the new electrician, even if you did your 2391 course as part of your training, you need in depth knowledge of the type of installation you are testing.

You also requires a good understanding of the regs and their relationship to installation requirements, so that you are not guessing or misunderstanding those two columns of tick boxes in the schedule of inspection and dozen or so columns in your schedule of test results.

Finally, good as these forums are, you need a process of verification in place so that any grey areas or inaccuracies can be rectified. If you are self employed, send a copy now and then of any certificate to your accrediting body
Scolmore Electrical Products
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to PIR codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom