Discuss Plumber of the year in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Morgan keith

Came across this piece of work while disconnecting a utility room for an extension. I noticed the radiator bracket was mounted RIGHT where the cable seemed to run, so because they were knocking the wall down, I decided I'd rip the conduit out to see what the story was. Both screws went straight through the conduit (as you can see the red wall plugs). 1 nicked the L conductor(only just) and the other completely nicked the neutral and was pretty well screwed against it. Amazing piece of luck (and stupidity) by whoever did it. Although oddly enough, he appears to have taken great care to get the rad nice and level.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 271
was there a switch or something above that / was the conduit visible? If not then it looks to be out of the safe zones, so not that surprising.

So were the red rawl plugs insulating the screw from the live / neutral bare wire?

Whilst not excusing the plumber from failing to use a stud/wire finder to be sure, I actually have a degree of sympathy here; it's by a door so clearly it's been a light switch, and I would have also assumed that any light switch on the ground floor is going to be dropped vertically from above, not up through a concrete floor below!

Zones aren't the be-all-and-end-all of it!

There was a double socket on the end of that cable and wooden floor so he had no real reason to assume with any degree of certainty the cable came from above.
Yeah he had drilled into half the N conductor then the wall plug was insulating it probably just enough as the RCD wasn't having any issues

Whilst not excusing the plumber from failing to use a stud/wire finder to be sure, I actually have a degree of sympathy here; it's by a door so clearly it's been a light switch, and I would have also assumed that any light switch on the ground floor is going to be dropped vertically from above, not up through a concrete floor below!

Zones aren't the be-all-and-end-all of it!

Does seem to me that it is only us electricians who are aware of cable safe zones, which renders there existence pretty useless if no other buggers know they exist!

The only zone the rest of the world knows about is the vertical above and below accessories.

The rest are pointless, especially the one that puts cables in the perfect place for the coving nails to hit.

Reply to Plumber of the year in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net