Discuss PooL Heat pumps: Single or 3 phase? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lachataigneraie

I'm shopping for a pool heat pump. It seems reviews suggest that single phase pumps should not be rated above 10KW output for fear of shorting out[yet they sell them up to 31KW models?]. 3 phase models seem safer, yet their installation is more expensive since you need a 1 to 3 phase converter installation[for single phase home owners], £1000,s more. Ideally for my size swimming pool I would need a 17KW model.
Does anyone have any opinion on this?
Cheers

I'm shopping for a pool heat pump. It seems reviews suggest that single phase pumps should not be rated above 10KW output for fear of shorting out[yet they sell them up to 31KW models?]. 3 phase models seem safer, yet their installation is more expensive since you need a 1 to 3 phase converter installation[for single phase home owners], £1000,s more. Ideally for my size swimming pool I would need a 17KW model.
Does anyone have any opinion on this?
Cheers

If your one of these single phase home owners I would be amazed if you had a supply any where near big enough for 17KW and the rest of the house.

Maybe the figures given in kilowatts refer to the refrigeration capacity of the heat pumps rather than the electrical consumption. as Malcolmsanford points out it would be unusual to find a single phase domestic appliance rated at 10 (or 17) Kilowatts.

If the premises has a single phase supply then specify a single phase heat pump. Adding a single phase to 3-phase 'converter' will actually result in a higher load plus it's extra expense and it's something extra to go wrong. Otherwise upgrade the electrical supply to 3-phase.

If a premises has a 3-phase supply then always specify a 3-phase heat pump. This will present a balanced load and 3-phase motors have more efficient starting and lower starting currents.

Hang on we need clarification on this. a heat pump to me extracts heat to be used “in house”, I can’t see this being the case for a pool.

A heating pump is the most likely explanation. Where 17KW is out of the question with a standard household supply.

Hang on we need clarification on this. a heat pump to me extracts heat to be used “in house”, I can’t see this being the case for a pool.

Lol, I was assuming that heat pump meant one of these but like you say clarification would be nice.

Never thought of a heating system pump, it would be one hell of a heater system to require a 17kW pump.

As far as I know a "heat pump" is a "reverse fridge" they are often used to heat pools.
Though why a single phase on s should short out I don't know they should only do that in the event of a fault.
if single phase heat pumps of this size are regularly shorting out then I would say that they are not fit for purpose and thus must not be on sale in the UK.
Don't install a 1ph to 3ph converter else you will lose all the advantages of the energy saving of the heat pump in the converter.

Reply to PooL Heat pumps: Single or 3 phase? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net