Discuss Pre checks before changing CU in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

ukpablo

I know there has been alot of threads regarding this, but could anybody give me a few pointers to what checks, what order u do before removing the old cu..............or whilst doing a quote?!

Ie after removing cu cover!

:)

thanks

I know there has been alot of threads regarding this, but could anybody give me a few pointers to what checks, what order u do before removing the old cu..............or whilst doing a quote?!

Ie after removing cu cover!

:)

thanks
When going round to price to give me more of an idea i do an insulation test on whole board, check bonding and earthing arrangements and do a ze test, i then tell the customer if i find any problems whilst the board is being changed they will be told of a cost before i proceed, its stood me well so far

do u do it at 250v? ask to disconnect all eqpt on ccts? test all neutrals , disconnected one at a time to the neutral bar to confirm no borrowed neutrals?

if you check at 250v(l+n) joined with appliances connected -you won't know if a low reading is equipment or fixed wiring though

borrowed neutrals-you won't know by testing between circuits at board -unless lamp(or load)
that borrows a neutral is switched on

Yeah at 250v, connect L and N together and test between that and earth, not a great test but does give you some idea if there is an insulation fault, a few people say to do a pir but how many people want to pay for that as they're only after a quote, and they probably want numerous quotes off different contractors to check prices, its only to give me an idea on the state of the wiring and as long as i explain first that there may be other problems whilst the new cu is being installed they're fine about it, never had a problem yet but i am quite charming:D

I always check bonding, Ze, class 2 fittings present in bathroom.

And then always explain to customer and also fully state on the quote,

...that after the board change should any underlying faults become present these will need to be located and rectified at Ā£xx/hour + materials

Reply to Pre checks before changing CU in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net