Discuss pricing a job some help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

marty1234

some help i have to price a job that has 110 circuit .I have to do a fixed wire test on them all work to be done out off hours what price per circuit would you charge
I dont now what the circuit are feading as yet still to grt this info

I presume you mean it has 110 circuits not a 110v circuit.You would need estimate how long testing each circ. would take multiply by the hourly rate you want to earn then multiply by 110. I would be charging my hourly rate * whatever time it takes to take out lamps etc. and reinstate the circ.

i would tend to just give a hourly rate or you will start to loose serious money if you price per circuit, could take you half a hour to trace/test a circuit or it could take 3hrs.

Don't quote an hourly rate for a commercial PIR, the client wants a price!

In your quotation, you simply say that you've allowed a maximum of 0.5 hours (or whatever) to trace a ciruit, after that, it goes down as 'unable to locate'

Are you experienced in PIR's, do you have PI insurance etc.?

If you are experienced then even with an unmarked DB, you'll soon find that tracing circuits is not as hard as it sounds once you use the clues provided!

Some of the PIR's we do run into 2500+ circuits and we probably end up with around 15 'unable to locate' circuits, not a bad percentage!

IQ Electrical; Some of the PIR's we do run into 2500+ circuits and we probably end up with around 15 'unable to locate' circuits said:
Most impressive! You must have the patience of a saint to track so many down...:)

...So you say "That'll be 2500 x £20 = £50,000 +VAT. I can do it next Thursday afternoon, and shall I book you in for the same time next year?" :cool:

Yes but there are so many clues:

It's amazing how much equipment beeps, buzzes or makes a mechanical noise on power-up! Our last resort is everything off at the local DB then energise the unknown circuit as a colleague walks round listening and watching!

All of our large PIR's are done on a night shift 'to minimise client inconvenience' it actually benefits us as it's dark and quiet!

You really do use the 'senses' that City & Guilds are so fond of mentioning in 2391-10 papers!

...So you say "That'll be 2500 x £20 = £50,000 +VAT. I can do it next Thursday afternoon, and shall I book you in for the same time next year?" :cool:

I wish!

We have to go through an immense tender and pretender process to get to those jobs, luckily price is only one of 5 criteria that have points awarded for the final decision.

Yes but there are so many clues:

It's amazing how much equipment beeps, buzzes or makes a mechanical noise on power-up!or the guy,girl half way through typing up their report (when you turn off circuit marked Outside lighting!")Only to hear her/him screaming lol Our last resort is everything off at the local DB then energise the unknown circuit as a colleague walks round listening and watching!

All of our large PIR's are done on a night shift 'to minimise client inconvenience' it actually benefits us as it's dark and quiet!

You really do use the 'senses' that City & Guilds are so fond of mentioning in 2391-10 papers!

I agree with the out of hours but its realy hard on present one iv got a hotel lol As for OPs question price per circuit as IQ says allowing around half hour for tracing and most can be traced by elimination leaving "that spur up there hasnt been tested" I tend to find Sticky dots put on tested items saves the "Did I Didnt I" test that one

Reply to pricing a job some help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net