Discuss Pricing a rewire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Robo

Does any body have any advice on how to price a house rewire.??

Whats the best way to calc how long, labour price etc.

How to price materials .

Thanks Robo

I like to walk around the house work out how many days it will take and calculate exactly what materials will cost.

I get more and more disheartened as it takes me a couple of hours to do properly when........

1. I can usually guestimate it to within a couple of hundred quid

2. £50.00 a point is also within a couple of hundred quid.

3. £2700 for 2 bed Victorian (Also within a couple of hundred)

4. £3500 for 3 bed Victorian (Also within a couple of hundred)

So up to you really do it how you think is best!

Last edited:
the best way i find is to firstly quantify how many points your installing, then work out your cable prices, fuseboard and any other parts that make up the job, then you need to ask yourself how long will it take you, you should allow about 20 percent on top incase of any problems or oversights, main thing is price ALL your materials up, then look at time to do it, bout £150 a day at least!!

Thanks for your help. Im going friday to find exact customer requirements. Its a four bed house, 1 bathroom, lounge, diner and kitchen. Tv points.

If its habited, use a proffesional carpet fitter to lift and relay carpets, a plasterer to make good, at tv areail instaler and book a proffessional cleaner to come in each evening for an hour.

Make sure you add a few quid if its lived in, allways a nightmare.....

"Someone must have trodden on my chest of draws"
"I cant believe you let the cat out"
"Why is my TV not picking up any signal"
"I dont like the finish of your wall chases"
"That crack in the ceiling is new"

The list goes on and on, my replys would get me banned!

If its habited, use a proffesional carpet fitter to lift and relay carpets, a plasterer to make good, at tv areail instaler and book a proffessional cleaner to come in each evening for an hour.

Make sure you add a few quid if its lived in, allways a nightmare.....

"Someone must have trodden on my chest of draws"
"I cant believe you let the cat out"
"Why is my TV not picking up any signal"
"I dont like the finish of your wall chases"
"That crack in the ceiling is new"

The list goes on and on, my replys would get me banned!

I'm rewiring a 1920's 3 bed house just now which is being lived in & it's stuffed full of stuff as the lady who lives there recently moved from a 5 bed house & thinks that all the stuff from that house should fit into this one!!

I seem to spend more time moving stuff or falling over stuff than I spend on doing the job.

It dosen't work every time but I did a deal with a man with a van guy and use to offer a service to have him remove the majority of the breakable and larger furntiture that they could do without for a few days, and put them into storage.

Ok beds and 3 piece suites may have to stay, but things like cabinets, even putting clothes into one wardrobe and taking others out helped, and I always sold it as part of my quote to them, so I may have lost perhaps 100 pounds on the deal, but it was worth it in time saved and messing about

Starting one next week, a 2 bed bungalow. Customer is moving as much as he can into the garage and they've even sorting the carpet lifting and refitting.

I always offer to do the carpets, i'll lift em but will ask the customer before contract and all that stuff is done if they want them fitting properly by a fitter or if they are happy me doing it.

Its all in the Tand Cs and they sign a contract, and up to now no one has moaned

I like the cleaner for an hour. that`s got to be worth a tenner whilst your clearing the tools away not to have to bother messing about cleaning up

good idea cbw. i don`t have a problem cleaning up but after a pain in the rear type day its that one extra thing that i just don`t want to be doing :D

Shush :D don`t be giving away the tricks of the trade :D

Lol I have to admit I do miss the 1890 odd papers where you could buy a 3 story house in London for 179 pounds 17/6s or get some of Dr Philiias DoGood magic elixcir that cures everything from Gout to Chlorea for 3 h'penny.

At home I framed the front page of the Times dated from 1874 that I found in an attic it was mint and I asked the old lad their if I could keep it. Not only did he say yes but he also gave me a couple of local papers that were in good condition dated from 1913 and had great pictures of the troops leaving from Ramsgate Harbour for the war which I also framed. It is amazing how many people come to my house and read them .

Needless to say the old lad got a tip top job, a fairly hefty discount, and a few meals from my lass and shopping done until he died.

Starting one next week, a 2 bed bungalow. Customer is moving as much as he can into the garage and they've even sorting the carpet lifting and refitting.

Have you had a look in the loft yet........?

Because thats where another garage full of 'needed' stuff is stored. They have probably boarded the loft out, securing the boards with 4 inch cut nails so they can safely store their 'needed' stuff up there.

Grin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you had a look in the loft yet........?

Because thats where another garage full of 'needed' stuff is stored. They have probably boarded the loft out, securing the boards with 4 inch cut nails so they can safely store their 'needed' stuff up there.

Grin.

Been up there mate.

Its all getting shifted so not for me to worry about

Nice one, I hope the job goes well for you.

Bungalow rewires are hard work if your alone.

Hopefully there are floor boards / a floor space too ?

All the best

I've got an unoccupied, 1 bed alms house bungalow to re wire. Fairly standard spec, including new boiler supply, programmer, room stat.

On the spec it states ' all circuits must be fully re wireable ' , which I guess means proper round conduit, not oval

Gone in at £1600. Does that sound ok?

If the house has floor boards to the ground floor would you go under these when re wireing the downstairs sockets. Or would you drop down from the upstairs floorboards instead?

Reply to Pricing a rewire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net