Discuss Pricing Jobs - The Standard System in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

owenskinner

Hi All.

I need to know the standard system(s) most people use for pricing new builds and rewires. I have checked a lot of posts and can't find what I am looking for as most posts are people putting up specific jobs with their price and mentioning how clients moaned about the price.

Basically I have heard that most people either price per point or work out the hourly multiplier per point and materials.

System 1 - Price Per Point (1st Fix, 2nd Fix & Inspect/ Test).
So do you price somewhere in the region of £60 per point, this is including materials and labour?

If so what classes as a point - C/U, Socket/ Light/ Fuse Spur/ Junction Box/ Earth Rod/ Earth Bond Clamp ??

I.E Job : 4 Sockets, 1 Earth Rod, 2 Earth Bond Clamps, 1 Consumer Unit & 2 Junction Boxes (10 Points) = £600 Incl Materials & Labour.

Does this sound correct? If so is the price per point and what classes as a point correct? All pointers appreciated.

System 2 - Work Out How Many Points Then Multiply By Hours Taken By Hourly Rate & Add Materials (1st Fix, 2nd Fix & Inspect/ Test).

So do you work out how many points there are (Also what classes as a point as above?) and then multiply by an hourly multiplier? I.E a 2 gang socket takes 2 hours to 1st, 2nd fix, inspect and test. Then that gives you how many hours for the job and you multiple that by your hourly rate (£15.00).

This then becomes complicated as do you charge the same hourly multiplier for a 2 gang socket as you do for a 16 way Consumer Unit???

Then you work out material cost plus markup (20%) then add it all up.

I.E Job : 4 Sockets (8 Hrs), 1 Earth Rod (2 Hrs), 2 Earth Bond Clamps (4 Hrs), 1 Consumer Unit (2 Hrs) & 2 Junction Boxes (4 Hrs) = Total 20 Hours @ £15 Per Hour = £300 Labour plus materials @ 20% markup?

Does this sound correct? All pointers appreciated.

Hourly Rate
Another thing is what is the general hourly rate for a fully qualified, insured, part p electrician in the different parts of the country. I am in the south west and it seems it can be anything from £15 - £27 per hour. Please help.

Any Help Appreciated - The Sooner The Better - Quotes Pending...

Differs for everyone, i don't know what your overheads are for example.

so it is a personal thing.

As a rule of thumb aim high, if you win everything great, aim a little higher, only you can decide if you are making enough money to cover costs and then live on.

£60/point is a bit high. £45 for general points ( include light switch as a point), but more per point for cookers, showers etc say £80.

Reply to Pricing Jobs - The Standard System in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net