Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Problems with testing with a megger 1710 help! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Meggersamantha

Hi any advice would be nice,
i recently had my Megger 1552 die on me which i havent had that long (eBay) which I've been learning with, seeing that some places discontinued selling these i decided to invest in a megger 1710 just got it today.
Although it seems easily laid out it differs from my previous meter. Unlike on my old 1552 I'm slightly unclear on which dials to select for my Ze, Zs and PFC
There's 2 options in Loop
L-PE with a sub category 3Lo, 2Hi and 2Lo
and L-L/L-N which is a 2Hi test

Also the 'new 2 wire' no trip loop test is confusing me is this a Zs without the neutral? It also says it displays the PFC with this test but shouldn't u record the PFC at the incoming L-N and L-E with the main breaker off? So why would u need this reading?

Here is what I think are the correct settings
Ze - L-PE on 2Hi
PSCC - L-N on 2Hi
PEFC - L-PE 2Hi same as Ze
Zs - L-PE on 3Lo

any help would be appreciated x

Hi thanks Rob, do my other settings sound correct?
Also the new feature is a '2 wire no trip loop' test with PFC, but I'd usually measure the PFC before the breaker so, wouldn't going threw a circuit and RCD affect the results and is not needed anyway.. Am I missing something here?

Cannot understand why testers are failing what happened to your megger I have had a 1553 for 3 years and I treat it like a new born baby lol I had a clamp amp meter for 25 years until some clown dropped it and I have had a fluke multimeter in a rubber case that gets ----ed about my toolbag for 25 years.

Is it because it is in constannt use ? or does it get chucked around but even then the Megger advert shows a transit van going over it with no problems at all and Megger boast that you cannot wrongly connect it so am I missing something here

Was working well up until i got it recalibrated, suddenly started get mad results on Ze & PFC (299)?! and RCD tests wouldn't work. I always kept it in box never dropped it always took care of it. Don't know how the previous owner treated it though, thats ebay for you! That's why I bought the 1710 new with 3yrs warranty.
any advice on my original questions?

the PEFC (Lo) setting is for measuring PEFC at an outlet, e.g. socket, when there is RCD protection, not for PEFC at the origin. as this reading is not normally entered on certs. most of us just measure Zs.

also be aware that testing your zs reading thru an rcd the megger will give you very strange readings depending on make of rcd so dont worry if the r1,r2 + Ze is not your zs reading .to check this do a 3 wire lo reading on incomer of rcd and repeat on the out going side ou will find the zs readings note the difference and you will find the readings to be ok

Thanks fraggle and telectrix, yes I know this is not recorded so wondered why this feature has been added, just for reference then. But I have read doing a 2 lead test obtains difference less accurate results then a 3 lead so will only be using 3 leads I think.
On my original post do these settings I use on my meter for the Ze, Zs, PEFC and PSCC seem ok?

about right. just have a play at home with it till you get used to the MFT.

Thanks guys i think i got the hang of it now, your help is much appreciated. The duel display actually shows Ze & PFC at same time, there is no 'PFC' setting as such, so testing for PEFC I have to do a Ze test but with the earthing conductor connected to the met, ignore the Ze result and just look at the PFC reading. Same with PSCC do a Ze between L-N incoming and read the PFC result :)

Hi

Recently brought 1710;Having the same problem with loop settings.Please could you advise me whether these settings are correct as i am new to testing >llearned on 1500 series and these new loop settings have thrown me a bit.Thank you in advance

Angus

Hi any advice would be nic

There's 2 options in Loop
L-PE with a sub category 3Lo, 2Hi and 2Lo
and L-L/L-N which is a 2Hi test

Here is what I think are the correct settings
Ze - L-PE on 2Hi
PSCC - L-N on 2Hi
PEFC - L-PE 2Hi same as Ze
Zs - L-PE on 3Lo

any help would be appreciated x

I bought a Megger 1730, then went on 2392 and used a a 3 wire Kewtech MFT. I had (and to some extent still have) the same confusion. I emailed Megger and recieved this reply: To conduct an external loop, PFC and PSSCtests on your MFT1730 please note the following:

Firstly all the tests should be 2 wire highcurrent only.

The second dial should be set to ‘Z’

Large dial on L-PE range with 2Hi rangeselected

For a Ze measurement the red and greentestleads are connected phase to L1 (MFT terminal) / main earth terminal to L2(MFT terminal)
The PFC measurement is displayed at thesame time above the loop / Ze measurement.

For a PSSC measurement move the green prodfrom the main earth terminal and connect to the neutral bar. This will give aL-N loop test with the PSSC measurement displayed above.

3Lo has been designed for circuits with an RCD, therefore not applicable to Ze at origin, unless you have a slightly complicated distribution. Clearly your 1710 dials are different to the 1730, why don't you email Megger for clarification. They are quite helpful.

Angus the settings i stated work well for me, what threw me was the fact that whilst doing a PFC test there is a 'Ze' measurement on the screen. This is because of a duel display hence the lack of PFC setting on the dials

Thanks guys i think i got the hang of it now, your help is much appreciated. The duel display actually shows Ze & PFC at same time, there is no 'PFC' setting as such, so testing for PEFC I have to do a Ze test but with the earthing conductor connected to the met, ignore the Ze result and just look at the PFC reading. Same with PSCC do a Ze between L-N incoming and read the PFC result :)

Most meters show loop/PFC on the same setting...

I think Megger tried to be too clever rushing out the 1700 series with all its new tricks their 1500 series worked so why change it

Most meters show loop/PFC on the same setting...
all of the meters 1500 series do not show loop/PFC measurement though which were standard issue for everyone in my classes. So it's new to me when they combined it, personally i preferred a different setting but there you go.

yes oldtimer I agree it wasn't broke so why try and fix it!

all of the meters 1500 series do not show loop/PFC measurement though which were standard issue for everyone in my classes. So it's new to me when they combined it, personally i preferred a different setting but there you go.

yes oldtimer I agree it wasn't broke so why try and fix it!

Yep I understand if it was an improvement but remember Megger's big selling point was you could do a 2 wire Zs test at a light switch when the regs was saying you had to test at the light point as this was the true end of the circuit.

So why did I buy the 1553 well because at the time Fluke's 1600 series was having problems I shoul have bought the 1552 as the bluetooth for me was a waste of time plus my biggest bug bear was that stupid carry case banging against my legs when going up stairs plus it had no storage. So I bought a Fluke carry case and it was the best buy I made for £28 great storage for the leads and bits and bobs.

Mind you Megger guy was not happy about it but I told him well if you ignore your customers then I will carry my 1553 in a Fluke box lol

Reply to Problems with testing with a megger 1710 help! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net