Discuss Projector *transformer block* in ceiling. Is it safe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I'm doing a wee home cinema project, and have a decent LED UST projector that I want to stick out of the way, in the ceiling. From an AV wiring perspective, a doddle. From an electrical perspective, pain in the arse, and advice greatly appreciated!

The projector came with a transformer block (IEC C5 clover-type in, to stupid little pin-type plug of undetermined size out) which I would want to have live in the wall (behind the screen maybe) or better yet in the loft... where unfortunately there's lots of heat-keeping insulation!!!

How the hell am I meant to do this safely, without it being a fire risk? I could have it attached to the ceiling on the underside, or sit it on top of the projector, but the projector and bracket are quite slim and small, so either of these options would just look ugly and muckle AF.

Surely there's a safe way of keeping the transformer in the loft without the fear of it overheating or whatever?
Is there any kind of safe enclosure I could put the transformer in maybe?

I also thought about having a recessed back box in the ceiling for it, with a blanking plate over it, but a double back box wouldn't quite be big enough for it.

An additional problem is whether or not I could wire the transformer block to a fused wall switch off the mains circuit, rather than using the 3-pin plug. Don't see why not, but again.. there will be something I don't know about that makes this potentially hazardous.

Thoughts on a postcard, please n thanks!!
TIA,

Dash

Any chance of posting some pics of the equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_9715.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9716.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9717.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9718.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 9
Not being in the domestic side, but many people have fitted aerial boosters in the loft and they use the same type of DC plugs.
The only issue I can think of with fitting the equipment in the loft would be condensation...(I could be wrong). I'd keep all the vent holes well clear of anything.
What does than manual say about fixing the equipment to something?

What does than manual say about fixing the equipment to something?
Absolutely sod all ? very frustrating.
Fair point about powered aerial boosters in lofts.

The odds of the transformer melting or catching fire I would imagine are fairly low, but the fact that it's out of sight does make me a bit anxious about it going in the loft. I think I maybe just need to get a fire-rated plastic shelf or something to put it on... and maybe a mains-powered smoke detector for extra safety. Idk. ?‍♂️

It's a normal electronic power supply unit (not just a transformer). Sit it on top of a piece of board in the loft if you like, so that it can't get smothered by the insulation. It's OK for its cables to pass directly through the insulation (preferably through a short piece of conduit). In commercial AV installations there are often hundreds of these things of various shapes and sized dotted about inside walls and ceilings and under floors. They do fail so allow for it to be replaced without damaging the decor.

Yes, you can use a fused connection unit to control / isolate it from within the room. It's acutally helpful to use the FCU to control a 13A socket above where the projector is going, and plug the power brick into that. If there is analogue audio anywhere the the associated media system that is feeding the projector, it is advisable to take the projector power from the same final circuit that is feeding the audio components, to avoid earth loops via the projector signal cable that can introduce hum.

Last edited:

Reply to Projector *transformer block* in ceiling. Is it safe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net