Discuss Query on registered electrician in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently came across an electrician who came to my house, hardly spoke a word of English and had a translator with him.
I noticed he was wearing a NAPIT id badge around his neck.
My query is do NAPIT allow translators for foreign electricians? I mean if he cant speak English then how could he read and write for the NAPIT exams or is there a way around this?

Napit do not make people sit exams.
they will require any applicants to prove they have the required knowledge by showing qualifications, they may even accept some qualifications from outside the U.K.

Napit do not make people sit exams.
they will require any applicants to prove they have the required knowledge by showing qualifications, they may even accept some qualifications from outside the U.K.
So a Bulgarian or Portgugese electrican can be registered with them without speak any English then?

If you have doubts about their abilities, you can search NAPIT for their name. (I assume they have a search feature?)
Some people can and do forge the ID cards, which NAPIT will take seriously.
However, if the name comes up, then NAPIT have deemed this individual competent.

Have they done any work for you yet, or are you just getting prices? You are free to choose another electrician, even if this one has quoted for work

I recently came across an electrician who came to my house, hardly spoke a word of English and had a translator with him.
I noticed he was wearing a NAPIT id badge around his neck.
My query is do NAPIT allow translators for foreign electricians? I mean if he cant speak English then how could he read and write for the NAPIT exams or is there a way around this?
If you want to check that they are actually registered, and not just pinching Napit's name then you can check on the competent persons register https://electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

With all the changes in definitions within BS7671 it'll probably get changed to the 'skilled and instructed' register... in another 10 years when it's caught up with the regs.

Reply to Query on registered electrician in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net