Discuss Raggling chimney breast in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is it okay to raggle a box for a socket into a chimney breast?
what is raggle??

if it is to sink below the surface, then you need to ensure that the chimney has no leaks into the room as you don't want to be responsible for the carbon monoxide deaths that could possibly follow.

most breasts are much thicker than you need to be able to sink a socket, however you need to be aware of any possible gas leaks from the void you have created.

if it is at the bottom, near the fire then probably no problem, the issue is when you do it in an upstairs bedroom and the fire is in the room below.

I guess the question is, is the fire still used, or has there been a wood burner with a proper flue installed?

Sinking the box is one thing, but how would you get the cable to where it needs to be?
Plus any AV cables

I know what raggling is.

I guess the question is, is the fire still used, or has there been a wood burner with a proper flue installed?

Sinking the box is one thing, but how would you get the cable to where it needs to be?
Plus any AV cables

I know what raggling is.
Plan was to go under the floor as the socket I’m coming from is quite a bit away. Under the floor then raggle a wee channel up to where the tv is going to be, the channel would be at the side of where the cavity is. But the fire is still In use yes

Hi,what type of fire is it,and does it have a flexible flue,register plate or lintel?

Other factors would be depth of chase,due to origin of supply,and any heat,likely to affect cable/fittings.

Standardish chimney breast would be two courses at the side,but maybe one up the front,which invariably is easily loosened by any drilling/breaking,if of an age.

Remember the front of that breast is a popular target for fixing ornaments and pictures,so any buried cables are at risk,and it is not generally an area where deep chasing is advised.

I have in the past,recommended the power/other cables,are fed from the side of the breast,via a feature coil or flexible conduit,which actually looks ok,and leaves the buried stuff,in 9" of brickwork.

I have somewhere,a lovely picture of a large Samsung flat screen TV,hanging forwards off the front of a chimney breast,about 2",where the householder thought the bracket was loose.....his young son,pointed out the dust on the mantlepiece,and the 2 foot square section of single skin brickwork,leaning out 2" 😗

Reply to Raggling chimney breast in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net