Discuss raychem heat trace in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience with Raychem self regulating heating cable? I have recently installed Raychem 12w/m at 70 Degrees Celsius on a hot water pipe supplying 3 sinks. The water needs to be at a constant temp of 55 degrees c. The problem I have is that when i arrived on the job, there was little access to the full run of pipe. I managed to get access enough to run the heat cable along the full pipe but insulating the full pipe was a nightmare so around 70% of it is insulated. Do you think it will be able to get too and keep the water within the 15mm pvc pipe at 55 degrees ?

thanks

I wouldn't think so. I fitted 12W/M heating cable via a frost stat to the cold pipes to the washing machine in my mothers utility room as they often freeze in winter. When running there is only enough heat to stop the pipes freezing. They are fully insulated except for exposed stop cock handles. When I first installed it I played about with it a bit, even before the very cold weather the copper pipes were barely warmed, probably about body temperature at most. They no longer freeze in winter now though. Your plastic pipe will also insulate the water from the heat somewhat too.

You can get industrial versions which are about 500W per meter (these will likely damage PVC pipe) but anyway trace heating tape is totally unsuitable for heating water for sinks, you should use a suitable under sink multi point water heater.

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience with Raychem self regulating heating cable? I have recently installed Raychem 12w/m at 70 Degrees Celsius on a hot water pipe supplying 3 sinks. The water needs to be at a constant temp of 55 degrees c. The problem I have is that when i arrived on the job, there was little access to the full run of pipe. I managed to get access enough to run the heat cable along the full pipe but insulating the full pipe was a nightmare so around 70% of it is insulated. Do you think it will be able to get too and keep the water within the 15mm pvc pipe at 55 degrees ?

thanks
What is the wattage per foot I’m guessing 5 Watts’s per foot the insulation is what holds the heat in to keep pipes at operating temperature so having said that with 70% insulated you should be fine
[automerge]1580860306[/automerge]
What is the wattage per foot I’m guessing 5 Watts’s per foot the insulation is what holds the heat in to keep pipes at operating temperature so having said that with 70% insulated you should be fine

I guess I misread you question 12watts a meter you shouldn’t have any problems

yes it is 12 watt per m so just under.
[automerge]1580860459[/automerge]
Thanks!!
Your quite welcome and good luck
[automerge]1580862931[/automerge]
I just googled Celsius and 135 degrees F 12 watts a meter will never reach that and the 30% of pipe will loose a lot of heat, I thought you was doing this for freeze protection. My hot water heater is set on 110% F and that’s pretty dang hot

Last edited:
If you succeed , I'm just wondering what will bake out of those hot plastic pipes over time !
(may be more of a wetpants problem)
Are ye aye? Has ur wee maw got ur toast and tea ready for u and the electric blanket on
[automerge]1580864084[/automerge]
[automerge]1580862931[/automerge]

I just googled Celsius and 135 degrees F 12 watts a meter will never reach that and the 30% of pipe will loose a lot of heat, I thought you was doing this for freeze protection. My hot water heater is set on 110% F and that’s pretty dang hot
The reason for the water in the pipe to be 55degrees Celsius is for legionella. The heat trace i have installed is designed for that. I know usually heat trace is to stop pipes freezing.

I would contact Raychem, they must have formulas for what is required and be able to advise whether the amount of heat trace and insulation you have been able to install is sufficient for what you need.

It does feel like the heat transfer would have been more efficient with copper pipe.

What sort of premises are these sinks in?
How long is the pipe run from the source?
Are these handwashing basins or utensil sinks?

Who specified the water has to be 55c, someone random who's been given a Water hygeine report to sort out and Googled the answer or someone with appropriate knowledge?

There are plenty of other courses of action before resorting to Heat tape.

Reply to raychem heat trace in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net