Discuss Rcbo trips when it rains heavily in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
have been to a convenience store and the rcbo circuit that is on a 32amp fuse keeps on tripping when it rains heavy. The circuit has a warmer plate, food warmer, ice cream freezer and a drinks freezer running on the circuit. I disconnected the appliances and plugged them back in and everything was fine. The shop owner said that it trips when it rains heavy however, the rain has been coming down continuously and hasnt tripped the circuit yet. Could someone shed some light on this? What could I do to solve this problem. Could I put a waterproof socket on for him?

The ice cream freezer and fridge is running on an extension as the plugs are not long enough to reach the socket. Could I run a 4mm cable from the fuseboard and put a socket for the ice cream freezer and drinks fridge.

Try doing an insulation test when all is dry and another when it has been raining recently.

most likely there is a damaged cable or a junction getting wet.
start by searching for obvious water ingress.

I agree with above, IR test the L+N joined together to CPC bar.
Then unplug equipment and repeat.
Then if required break down the circuit and repeat.
Also ramp test the RCBO with no load on, and normal load on. See how close it is to tripping anyway.

have been to a convenience store and the rcbo circuit that is on a 32amp fuse keeps on tripping when it rains heavy. The circuit has a warmer plate, food warmer, ice cream freezer and a drinks freezer running on the circuit. I disconnected the appliances and plugged them back in and everything was fine. The shop owner said that it trips when it rains heavy however, the rain has been coming down continuously and hasnt tripped the circuit yet. Could someone shed some light on this? What could I do to solve this problem. Could I put a waterproof socket on for him?

The ice cream freezer and fridge is running on an extension as the plugs are not long enough to reach the socket. Could I run a 4mm cable from the fuseboard and put a socket for the ice cream freezer and drinks fridge.

have been to a convenience store and the rcbo circuit that is on a 32amp fuse keeps on tripping when it RAINS heavy
You have 50% of your solution right there. I would be keeping my IR tester in its box and first determine exactly what's on that circuit that might be affected by rain. Its usually something exposed to the elements. As a general rule you want to disconnect as little as possible during faultfinding. Taking a purposeful walk around the exterior of the premise often results in not having to take your tester out at all.
. The shop owner said that it trips when it rains heavy however, the rain has been coming down continuously and hasnt tripped the circuit yet.
One reason it may not have tripped is that it sometimes takes not just rain but also a particular wind direction in order for the affected area to reached by the water

Try doing an insulation test when all is dry and another when it has been raining recently.

most likely there is a damaged cable or a junction getting wet.
start by searching for obvious water ingress.

The owner has said that the freezers thermostat wasnt working and an engineer came out to replace it however, before he came the electrics weren't tripping as much but since his been it is tripping continuously

Reply to Rcbo trips when it rains heavily in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net