Discuss Rcd keeps tripping out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Ian Pankhurst

I'm a little confused as I have been off work for a while and not had that much electrical work on recently and am a bit of a noob if I'm honest.
The issue is that the rcd was tripping with all the breakers off. I took out the buzzbar next just to make sure. With the main breaker on the rcd still wouldn't stay on. So I changed the rcd and still the same, do I then changed the main switch and, you guessed it, still the rcd won't stay on?!?!
there is absolutely nothing on the system, only main feed in.
What tests do I have to do to find the fault or does anyone know what on earth it could be?

What tests have you actually carried out?
What test equipment do you have?
Have you carried any work on the installation that may cause this to happen ( please be honest or we don't stand a chance of helping you) C

you possibly have a neutral to earth fault , if you had a lot of rain last night then check the outside lights for water , and get test kit out , you'll need to check each circuit disconnect each circuit from the neutral bar and MCB in turn and test them or with all the MCB's switched off disconnect each neutral till the fault clears and then test the circuit that causes the fault much prefer the dead testing method

In Feb 2013 you were buying a Megger MTF have you not being using it ? post a picture of the CU
or a bit more info. in your op you say what on Earth could it be...thats a good clue

Tails from the meter go to the main switch, switch to rcd, rcd to nothing, as I have taken out the buzzbar. I just disconnected the neutral from the rcd to the neutral bar in the CU and the rcd stained on, so maybe a neutral fault?

then connect each circuit 1 at a time, switching on the RCD. then you've tracked it to the faulty circuit.

All sorted, thanks for pointing me in the right direction and jogging the memory again lol
it was a dodgy spur off the upstairs ring main. It wasn't needed anymore, so removed it and it's all back to normal now. Cheers boys

Reply to Rcd keeps tripping out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net