Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Re-wire on the side. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've been asked to re-wire a 2 bedroom, first floor flat in Scotland. I'm employed full time for an electrical company, so I would be doing this job in my own time and my question is could I test this job at the end of wiring and hand over a test sheet and the jobs a good un or would it need to be signed off legit?

Cheers

If you look on the building control section of the Scottish government website it will tell you which works need a warrant.
If no warrant is required then it's just a case of issuing a test cert at the end of the job.
As above it would be daft, possibly even irresponsible to do it without PLI in place.
The cost of PLI for a year is bugger all compared to the potential cost of not having it. :)

If you look on the building control section of the Scottish government website it will tell you which works need a warrant.
If no warrant is required then it's just a case of issuing a test cert at the end of the job.
As above it would be daft, possibly even irresponsible to do it without PLI in place.
The cost of PLI for a year is bugger all compared to the potential cost of not having it. :)
Might be a silly question but I'm assuming I'd have to have myself registered as self employed for some type of insurance?

Might be a silly question but I'm assuming I'd have to have myself registered as self employed for some type of insurance?
not necessary. just get a quote from Insurance Octopus, be ready to quote them a trading name what you have made up. e.g. "GT Electrics" wher GT are your initials. anything will do.i know a domestic installer goes by the nams of "OHM Electrics".

Nothing to stop you taking on a cash rewire and doing it over 2 or 3 weekends

As above make sure you take out a cheap PL insurance , mine is like 96 quid a year and covers me for 2 million worth of damages

Nothing to stop you taking on a cash rewire and doing it over 2 or 3 weekends

As above make sure you take out a cheap PL insurance , mine is like 96 quid a year and covers me for 2 million worth of damages
mine's just a bitmore but includes 3K tool cover 24/7, not like most robbery merchants insurers only cover tools on van 06.00 to 21.00hrs.

I've been asked to re-wire a 2 bedroom, first floor flat in Scotland. I'm employed full time for an electrical company, so I would be doing this job in my own time and my question is could I test this job at the end of wiring and hand over a test sheet and the jobs a good un or would it need to be signed off legit?

Cheers
To answer your original question, it depends who the client is, if they are a personal friend explain the situation to them that you can supply a test certificate, but it will not be signed and that if they really want they need to take out some kind of insurance for the works.

Reply to Re-wire on the side. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net