Discuss Red & Black Flex: when was it phased out? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Big_Nige

Can someone settle an argument?

Does anyone remember when red and black coded mains flex (rather than cable) whas phased out in the UK? I say it was at least 30 years ago, my friend (who I think is getting confused with cable) says about 10 years ago.

They were certainly harmonised to the European colours by the early 80`s - perhaps even some years before that.

Your friend must be confused, in 2001 the UK agreed to adopt the Cenelec colour codes within 5 years - hence the big changeover in 2006 - can`t believe that was only 3 years ago!

As early as that, Mac?

Figured it must have been the 70`s - the decade that style forgot.

What other decade would have come up with Brown & Blue - what a combination!

At least they didn`t choose Gingham :eek: for the earth colours

As early as that, Mac?

Figured it must have been the 70`s - the decade that style forgot.

What other decade would have come up with Brown & Blue - what a combination!

At least they didn`t choose Gingham :eek: for the earth colours
Gingham who mate.Got a link to website but having problems posting it.

You`re an imposter aren`t you?

Anybody growing up the the 70` s would know what gingham was... wouldn`t they?!? :confused:

Me`s starting to suspect you`re really a spotty 17 yr old apprentice :D

You`re an imposter aren`t you?

Anybody growing up the the 70` s would know what gingham was... wouldn`t they?!? :confused:

Me`s starting to suspect you`re really a spotty 17 yr old apprentice :D
No mate i'm 41.Still don't know what a gingham is.Born 68 ,grew up in the 70s.Wasn't working thou.

You`re a lot older than me then. I wasn`t born til the October. Makes me only 40 :)

"Wasn`t working tho" - you slacker, i was sweeping chimneys by age 5 :eek:

& i can`t quite bring meself to tell you what gingham was/is - wish i hadn`t mentioned it now :(

You`re a lot older than me then. I wasn`t born til the October. Makes me only 40 :)

"Wasn`t working tho" - you slacker, i was sweeping chimneys by age 5 :eek:

& i can`t quite bring meself to tell you what gingham was/is - wish i hadn`t mentioned it now :(
Just googled gingham and it came back with fabric.Will you enlighten me because i have never heard of it:confused:

It makes sense: earth is brown, yellow means danger (so is the live), blue is like water, neutral :D

Dont know about anyone else her and i haope i havent wired up flexes wrong but i have done them this way

Brown = Live
Blue = Neutral
Green Yellow = Earth

PLease tell me i am right or its 20 years of backtracking jobs to repair them

It makes sense: earth is brown, yellow means danger (so is the live), blue is like water, neutral :D

Sorry mate but your worrying us all with your lack of technical knowledge.

You mean neutral should have transparent conductors don`t you? :D

& i wouldn`t worry Scotsparky, only do the ones you gave a cert for ;)

PLease tell me i am right or its 20 years of backtracking jobs to repair them

Speaking of which...

When I was a kid, my dad could fix anything, or so I thought. He died about 15 years ago. Some weeks later I happened to open the plug on a table-lamp at my mum's: it had a 13A fuse.

I went through every plug in the house: 13A fuses in every single one! :eek:

Gingham who mate... Got a link to website but having problems posting it.

Gingham, as in the fabric that all the women wore in the 70s - especially Gingham smocks, so they all looked pregnant*. You do remember women? :)

If your link is about the wiring colour history, would love to see it. Could you have another go?

* As an aside, do you know that around 10% of all women between the ages of 20 and 35 are pregnant at this moment. Nothing to do with me of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started my apprenticeship in '74 and I can't remember installing red & black flex, the closest was the old festoon cable that you screwed the lampholders on.

Reply to Red & Black Flex: when was it phased out? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net