Discuss Rent a roof contracts in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just asking at this stage, has anyone actually got a contract they use or have used for this type of activity.

I have a relative that would like panels but cannot afford it, and now he would like me to put them on at no cost to him and i rent the roof.

now you know what its like, relatives, newly married, just had a kid, theres all sorts of things that can go wrong, so thought i would do one of 2 things.

1. Dont do it, tell him to wait etc
2. Put them on but protect myself

Im heavily in favour of 1, but thought i would ask how involved these things are. :)

If they own the house it would be great investment for you. Let them use the free power and you keep the fit payment.

Draw up a contract between the 3 of you that states if they move they have to pay you compensation reduce the amount every 3 years over a 20 year period

Homesun installed my panels free we are to old to start a family or want to move

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree it may be a good investment, the issue is the contract itself, i wondered if someone had a copy, or is willing to let me have a copy of theirs so i can see what is involved.

I forgot to say homesun got a fit payment for just over £3200 for 2013 and it rained most of the year! I live near you and have a 3.5kw system

The main part states homesun rent the airspace above the roof and don't own the roof.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to the FIT payment thats very steep, and 2013 was a sunny year, my system did 4200+ KW but that is no where near the fit tariff your talking about.

I need to see a contract as i have a feeling it costs a bit to setup the first one up.

Care to share it as a pdf?

I now have a full copy of one, quite interesting read especially in regards to insurance for the owner of the property.

Our contract states as homesun are tenant its homesun who are responsible for the equipment not the homeowner and they insurance and maintain the equipment.

We told our insurance company and they come across these things everyday. Remember you rent the airspace above the roof not the roof

The thing you should concern yourself is loss of earnings if anything crops up if they want to move before your investment made a profit over say a 20 year period put buy out clause in to cover yourself.

homesun can sting us for £15000 in the first 10 years and goes down by £500 every year afterwards.

if they are just starting out why not put a second charge on their property leave it at that and collect the fit payment.

The only way its not worth them doing it is if they are out at work all day and not using the free energy during the day

Reply to Rent a roof contracts in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net