Discuss Returning to the industry in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Ponty Massive

Hello all,

I'm looking for a bit of advise is possible from you guy's and gal's who are in the industry at the moment. I've been out of the industry since 2003 and am looking for some help in getting back up to speed with things.

I served a 4 year apprenticeship between 1992-1995 and did my C&G 2360 pt 1+2. Post apprenticeship I held quiet a few post along the way, ending up as a Contracts Manager and NIC QS for a construction firm. I did my 16th edition (2380) in January 2002.

Obviously I realise a few things have changed over the years, namely the 17th edition.

I was looking into doing a 1 day course to upgrade to the 17th but have come across a note saying this is not possible if the 16th was done before 2004? Is this correct?

Also I have never done my 2391, but did an assessment with the NICEIC to get my Qualified Supervisor's position for the company.

The main questions I have are:

Can I do a 1 day upgrade to 17th editions and if so, any recommedations on course or home study?

Do I need to do the 2391 to be graded as an electrician with the JIB?

Does holding the 2391 cert make you a lot more employable?

How is the indusrty these day's, is it worth trying to make a come back??

Many thanks for your help from an old time newbie.

PM

Hello all,

Can I do a 1 day upgrade to 17th editions and if so, any recommedations on course or home study?if the ponty stands for pontefract just sit the exam only at the skills ctr in wakie mate £60 ish

Do I need to do the 2391 to be graded as an electrician with the JIB? no

Does holding the 2391 cert make you a lot more employable? any more that you can put on the cv will always work in your favour

PM
all answers in red mate hope this helps

Hello all,

I'm looking for a bit of advise is possible from you guy's and gal's who are in the industry at the moment. I've been out of the industry since 2003 and am looking for some help in getting back up to speed with things.

I served a 4 year apprenticeship between 1992-1995 and did my C&G 2360 pt 1+2. Post apprenticeship I held quiet a few post along the way, ending up as a Contracts Manager and NIC QS for a construction firm. I did my 16th edition (2380) in January 2002.

Obviously I realise a few things have changed over the years, namely the 17th edition.

I was looking into doing a 1 day course to upgrade to the 17th but have come across a note saying this is not possible if the 16th was done before 2004? Is this correct?

Also I have never done my 2391, but did an assessment with the NICEIC to get my Qualified Supervisor's position for the company.

Can I do a 1 day upgrade to 17th editions and if so, any recommedations on course or home study?

No you must complete the full test not the upgrade.

Do I need to do the 2391 to be graded as an electrician with the JIB?

Only the approved electrician grade needs 2391

Does holding the 2391 cert make you a lot more employable?

IMO yes

PM

Hope this helps.

Welcome Back!

I was looking into doing a 1 day course to upgrade to the 17th but have come across a note saying this is not possible if the 16th was done before 2004? Is this correct? Yes

Can I do a 1 day upgrade to 17th editions and if so, any recommedations on course or home study? 2 day course is ok, you should pass it easily as you can take the 7671 in with you.

Do I need to do the 2391 to be graded as an electrician with the JIB?No, to be graded approved electrician you need 2391 or PAT testing.

Does holding the 2391 cert make you a lot more employable? Yes, that is the Big change, every employer seems to want 2391

How is the indusrty these day's, is it worth trying to make a come back??Not much money to be earned. if you're happy with £20k then it's ok.

PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back and let us know if you eventually decide to return and what you managed to do. And the answers you need are already here (I would say that if you are really good and really lucky, you could go a little above 20k, but I am optimistic that it will be better in the not so distant future after the economy starts growing again).

I suppose the best place to start is to get the 17th edition done. Assuming I'll have to do the full course, can anyone recommend anywhere in the south wales area? (Cardiff to Merthyr)

Again, thanks a lot all.

Happy days, just spoken with a company who have stated, even though I did my 16th in 2002 (C&G 2380) I can do the the 17th update in a one day course. £200+VAT, does that price seem about right?

Reply to Returning to the industry in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net