Discuss rewire of house and energy efficiency in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

egginyourface

Im rewiring a 3 bed house at the moment. I've been told by another sparks that the kitchen spot lights will need to be low energy to pass building inspection?

Is this true or is it just a wind up?

don't it make you laugh? save maybe 200watts by fitting low energy spots, then install a 10.5kw shower, a 15 kwatt cooker, 3 kwatt microwave, washer, tumble dryer, dishwasher, garbage mangle, water boilers. etc.

Used to be that if you were fitting pendants in an installation where building control was inolved then yes, energy efficient pendants were required, now yungsten GLS aren't being imported that reg has been relaxed and you can fit BC pendants as everyone should be using CFL anyway.

CFL... candles for lighting..... back to 1850 then.

But the average dishwasher is more efficient than washing by hand and a shower easily trumps a bath, if cookers are anything like our new(ish) one they certainly don't upset the meter like they used too. Modern convenience is not going to change so it's up to people like us to have it used in as efficient means as possible.

And after seeing some of the damage 'goo 'ole fashion lightin'" does I'd never recommend it for anything* anyway

*well, i recommended a 35w GU10 spot to use in a fireplace once. All worked very well

like the abbrieviation! compared with tungsten tho I think they are much better despite their failings. All my clients seem to be over 80 though so I'm fighting a loosing battle arguing their merits.
Give it 2 years and it will all be LED anyway.

Are you making the installation less efficient with your rewire? Regs only state that you shouldn't replace on piece of equipment will a less energy efficient one.

I'd only be worried about this if the LABC are involved in the project!

Elecsa, Napit and NICEIC can't be bothered to police poor electricians let alone going around counting low energy bulbs!!!!!!!!!!!1

I was talking to an old electrician a while back who had sold his house a few years previously (back in the days of HIPS). The "energy efficiency" surveyor had been round counting "bulbs" and had informed his wife that there were over 100 lamps in the house and only 2 were energy saving types. "You're joking" she said, "I thought I'd got rid of all of them..."

60% of what we put in now are non " low energy" fittings which we fit with SMD LEDs which are more efficient than CFLs by a country mile, makes a joke out of the lighting parts of Part L

Reply to rewire of house and energy efficiency in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net